is it strange that my husbands not as excited as i am

i love shopping expecailly in the baby aisle but my husband dreads it even though we know its a boy now. just dont think he's as into the pregnancy as i am i tried to get him envolved in the nursery or making list of things we still need and my emergency room bag with a list of items to bring from my ob. but he is still not that into it he loves to feel the little guy kick and go see the ultra sounds and all the appointments is there anything i can do? is it normal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:37 PM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Guys deal with pregnancy differently than women. They are lacking the hormone that makes them instantly become a parent (example: we find out we're pregnant, we step right into the mom role. They have to grow into it) men reach different points at different times as far as their excitement level, but most will never be where we want them to.

Don't force it, its normal. Stresses of becoming a dad can become overwhelming with the more real it becomes. The fact that he loves to go to your appointments and feel the baby kick is a good thing. Just ask his opinion on things, such as nursery theme, etc. and when you are gonna go shopping for baby stuff, ask him if he wants to go but don't force it. It sounds like he is doing great so far :)
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 5:41 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• most guys dont get excited that is normal he will be over flowing with joy the day he sees his little boy
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 5:39 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• How far along are you? Give it time. hopefully the closer you get to your due date he'll get more involved and excited.
    Yellowrose9

Answer by Yellowrose9 at 5:41 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• i dont know to many men that enjoy shopping its normal i think. i wouldnt stress over it hes a guy. my husband could careless about what clothes and baby products we need just buy it he tells me lol. but he does still care he likes to feel baby move he likes to see him on the u/s he just doesnt care to shop.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 5:41 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• My husband was like that and I finally sat down and talked to him about it. He told me he was just really scared about "what if's" (what if something goes wrong, what if he's not a good father, etc). Being scared over shined his excitement.
    Anonymous

• Guys just don't like to go shopping under any circumstance! Unless maybe it's for camping equipment. Try to remember that he has the same joys, fears and thoughts as you do. He's excited and thrilled and also feeling the responsibilities, wondering if he'll be a good daddy and all the ways his life will change too. You are already bonded with the baby because it is growing inside your body and there's no way a man can experience that same closeness during the pregnancy. He's normal, just give it time and involve him in the ways he wants to be involved.
    www.newmommyteesandjeans.com
    Mommyghee

Answer by Mommyghee at 5:48 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• This is my second pregnancy, and let me tell you, my husband isn't into this one nor was he in my first. He did the things that he had to do, putting stuff together, hanging things, etc. Men stuff. But I did all the clothes, bottles, etc. Girl stuff. He was never excited, but did go to all the important dr. appts, and was very supportive when needed. Once delivery day came, he changed and became the best father! I had a c-section, so he had to step up and be there for our son, changings, feedings, all the stuff that he never knew anything about. I wouldn't change it for the world.
    Your husband will be great when the baby is here, don't stress. They just don't have the bonding that we do w/ our babies, and they don't get as excited and anxious about it as we do.
    Tiffany237

Answer by Tiffany237 at 6:04 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• It is very normal Most men dont even feel that they are a father till that moment they have the baby in there arms. Where we feeling mothers from the moment we find out we are having a baby.
    Alorasmommy

Answer by Alorasmommy at 6:41 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• maybe hes just not a big shopper. once he sees the little baby though he will probably be overflowing. thats kinda how my husband was, he left all the decorating and functional details to me lol and he just wanted the fun parts (according to him lol). good luck!
    disheveled

Answer by disheveled at 6:49 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• my boyfriends like that too. i have a 7 year old and we have a 2 year old boy and this one on the way he wasent excited with number 2 or this one. im sure when the babys born he will change.
    Anonymous