Has anyone who does not vaccinate ended up with a kid that catches what they would have been vaccinated for?

Does that make sense? My kids are partially vaccinated and am having some real trouble taking them in for the rest. I know lots of people have VERY strong opinions about this topic, so let's all be nice.

monkeyberry

Asked by monkeyberry at 5:53 PM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I agree with everyone's right to do wha they think is best, but my opinion is based on several years of intense research. Also have a doctor in the family that is anti-vac and has explained the "ugly" side of the political aspect of vaccines and drug companies. The MOST important things I have learned over the years are: #1 Most cases of these dealy diseses affecting children and adults were people that HAD in fact been vaccinated. #2 Vaccines are only affective for the first 18 months and then after that provide little or no protection. #3 Vaccines actually supress the immune system. Now, these are only things that I have found in MY research and I am not a doctor. Please do your own research. But to address your question, my three (16, 10, and 3) have not been vaccinated and they are all extremely healthy. Maybe I'm just lucky. My unvaccinated nephew, contracted meningitis at the age of 6. He made a full recovery.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:26 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• My parents didn't vaccinate and I almost died from something they have a vaccine for. After that my parents started to vaccinate. I fully vaccinate my children. I remember being in the hospital when I was a kid, it was scary and I couldn't even picture what my parent's felt.
    Anonymous

• What did you have?
    monkeyberry

Answer by monkeyberry at 5:57 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• My niece had her chicken pox vaccine and still got it but her sister didn't have the vaccine and she got it much worse and it took her alot longer to recover. I don't care what other people do with their kids and as long as mine are healthy, that's all that matters. I do get their vaccinations.
    Anonymous

• Its a personal choice to be made by a parent. But as a medical professional, Yes, i have seen kids (more so now than ever) coming down with diseases that are preventable by vaccinations. That being said, a common misconception about vaccs is that they totally 100% protect against these things, but they don't. What they do is allow the body to be introduced into the virus in a small enough amount in order to learn how to defeat the invading virus (w/o giving them enough to make them sick) So the possiblity that they will catch the disease is always there, just less percentage and less severe.

My worst cases I've seen....
    Little boy had mumps (no vacc given) and he was extremely sick and is now sterile with less than 5% chance to father a child
    Friend in college-caught Ruebella from another friends unvacc'd girl and miscarried the baby
    Boy i personally babysat for when i was a teen- 3 day coma from meningitis
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 8:28 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Yes. This happens ALL THE TIME! I had a friend who was totally anti vac because she had a daughter with autism and was convinced that the vacs caused it so she didnt vac her baby boy. When he was three he ended up being diagnosed with autism anyway and then at 3 1/2 got mumps so badly that he nearly died. As for the parents that don't vaccinate, its their children and I respect their wishes but I don't understand why you wouldn't protect your child if you could.
    Anonymous

• I was never vaccinated, (lived in Ecuador at the time, visit to the doctors office carried a 50/50 chance of coming out with colera or something equally evil). I got both measles, chicken pox and german measles. . . . the only one that was mildly serious was measles. I somehow ended up with a killer immune system though and have gotten sick only once in the past 6 years. I know many kids though, that have gotten the diseases they were vaccined for including chicken pox and measles. The severity of chicken pox also varies depending on the age you are when u get it. LIttle kids barely notice, for older ones though it's horrible!
    Panditacjp

Answer by Panditacjp at 10:07 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• just wanted to add that I love this question :) very interesting stuff
    leeleesboys

Answer by leeleesboys at 11:54 AM on Mar. 7, 2009