Non-Christians going to hell..

Within my family, there's a fight going on between an atheist and his Christian mother. He is a good man... he's caring, loving, giving, and supportive of his family and friends. He lives his life as Christ-like as any Christian I know. However, he is not Christian. When discussing religion with his mother recently, he asked her if she felt that he would go to hell (since she is Christian and does believe in hell) simply because he didn't believe in God. She answered that yes, she does believe he'll go to hell, despite being a good person. My question is two parts: number one, do you think that good people who are NOT Christian will go to hell, and number two, do you believe that good people who have no knowledge of God will go to hell?

prinzesstephi

Asked by prinzesstephi at 6:23 PM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Well, as sad and tragic,and avoidable as it is,yes, according to the Bible, if a person doesn't accept Jesus as their personal Savior, they will not go to Heaven. You could be Mother Teresa,but if you don't have Jesus as your Savior, you won't go to Heaven. As I said, it's avoidable,but,it's also a personal decision.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 6:25 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I believe "hell" in the bible was meant to be a shallow grave and people get this confused with some fire place because of another scripture in the bible. Either way, I kind of think we are already living in hell. Anyone want any iced water?

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 6:26 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Somewhere in the bible it states that before Christ comes, everyone will know His name. You can be the nicest person in the world, ambassador, etc., but the bible states in order to be saved you must accept Jesus as your personal Lord and Savior. If you do not ask Jesus into your heart and have a personal relationship with Him, you will not live for all eternity with Him.
    goinginsane1

Answer by goinginsane1 at 6:30 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• what if you have no knowledge of Christ?
    prinzesstephi

Answer by prinzesstephi at 6:31 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• The Bible clearly states that NO MAN is without excuse. I do think that for those who have little knowlege of Him, God expects less from them then He does from people who do have a lot of knowlege about Him, His Son, and the Bible.

And I do think that those who have not acknowleged God and who not have a personal relationship with Him, will not go to heaven.

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions"- and will be full of good people if they do not belive in Him.
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 6:32 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• If you have a knowledge of Christ and don't accept Him, you go to hell. That doesn't mean that for people who aren't believers and haven't heard of Him are going to hell. It's all based on the knowledge you have and decision you make with that
    MicahsMom612

Answer by MicahsMom612 at 6:32 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• If is asking his mother, is it because he is unsure of his decision? and is perhaps more agnostic than atheist? Or is he just looking to see his mothers reaction to him being atheist?

the reason I ask... is 1: atheists dont believe in heaven or hell.. which is why I asked if he may possibly be agnostic. Otherwise I don't see the point in asking beyond trying to feel out how his mom feels on the topic.
    2: if he is an atheist and wanted to see his mothers reply, i think it has to do more with her acceptance than the actually question..
    ex.. if she had said," you're a good person regardless, so yes I believe you will go to Heaven" that would have been a way for her to say she accepts.. by saying he will probably go to hell.. I believe she's saying she disaproves.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 6:34 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I have asked the same question (part 2) over and over to Christians... And always gotten the same answer. They all say that God will make sure that everyone gets the chance to know him in their lives...

Personally I don't believe in Hell. I am Pagan and although I belive in hell-like dementions I do not believe that it's somewhere we go to after death, no matter how bad we were while we were here.

The bible does NOT teach hell. And Jesus himself promised paridice to a murderer. A Non-Believer and a Killer? If he doesn't diserve hell who does? Hell is a scare tactic. That's all.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:34 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Hmm, Yes, according to the bible that would be right because it says he is the way the truth and the light. He is basically the only way you can go to heaven no matter what you do, you still have to accept him.
    But, if he's an atheist he shouldn't worry, right? Because according to atheists there is no hell.
    But what she is saying is in the bible. No man comes to heaven without accepting Christ in his life.
    Anonymous

• Sabrina,it's so sad that's how you feel. Hell is much more than a scare tactic,and is mentioned all throughout the Bible. It also says that in the end, that every knee will bend,and every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord. And,yeah, that includes whatever religions are out there,teaching whatever it is they are teaching.
    Anonymous