How do i handle a situation between my ex and my fiancee????

My fiancee wants to present my children with little wedding bands at our wedding, but my x-husband says that he is totally against it and will not let my children attend if this is what is going to happen. My fiancee just wants to make the girls feel welcome. How should i handle this?

IDchicka

Asked by IDchicka at 6:26 PM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Relationships

• Tell your husband that this is YOUR wedding and they are not only HIS children, and that they will be attending whether he likes it or not. He does not have to come and see the ceremony, but he needs to understand that there is no way in hell that he is going to keep your girls from watching you get married.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 6:29 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• err, EX husband, lol, sorry
    CarolynBarnett

• Just explain to your ex that your fiance isn't trying to take his place and that he's only trying to make the kids feel welcome in the family that you're creating. I don't see why he would want to make such a big deal about it tho, it sounds really sweet and it would be something that might be really special to your kids. Just ask him what about it bothers him so bad and make sure that he knows that it's just something to make the day special, and nothing meant to hurt him.
    heratyc

Answer by heratyc at 6:34 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I think that is totally inappropriate. He is not marrying the kids he's marrying you. That would be confusing and in dad's eyes probably would seem like the step dad is asking for their loyalty by wearing the little rings. That's the most outrageous thing I've ever heard of. It demeans the value of your own wedding band imo. I'm with dad on this one.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:04 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I would do some serious detective work on the new man. Hire someone. Let them go back into his childhood. He may be a pedophile.
    Anonymous

• He may not be marrying the kids but he is going to become their stepdad and I think it is a sweet gesture. Family rings is what you could call them. A pedophile, please?
    bookworm65

Answer by bookworm65 at 8:10 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• anon 7:42 lmao.....silliest thing i ever heard. i don't know what to think of it. seems sweet yet seems odd butt probably cause it's not the norm to do that. but it's like giving them a gift like you would the flower girls or bridesmaid. maybe if you told your exhusband like that it wouldn't sound so bad. what do the girls think? i wonder!
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 8:26 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• There's only one daddy here! He will always be Daddy! No one can fill his shoes. But any man who chooses to love you and honor you in marriage is stuck in a position where they have to work hard to win the friendship of your daughters. It is your new man's job to talk to this father, as men, explaining his intentions, and getting his permission. You need to step aside and let that happen. It may not work out how you planned, but this is between the men.
    Ophy

Answer by Ophy at 9:17 PM on Mar. 5, 2009