Does y our spouse argue with you over your teenager s actions or grades? Like it is your fault?

My 13 yrold son came home with 3 C's on his progress report- He is not aloud to go below B's -And some how this is my fault-WTF- it is causes alot of drama in our house! I cannot stand my H right know!! GRRRRRR....

Goldenbrowny

Asked by Goldenbrowny at 7:22 PM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• At the school my kids attend, C means you are 'at expected year level', B means you are working at somewhat ahead of expected, A means you are significantly advanced of expectations. So a kid getting Cs, being at the expected level, SHOULD be normal and acceptable! Not every kid can be ahead of the expected in every subject!

That said, when my kids came home with Cs last year (they are identified as Gifted through testing and should have found the work easy) we discussed the matter calmly and quietly. They were able to identify for themselves why they were only getting 'as expected' grades and improve accordingly. The next report cards came home all As and Bs again and have continued so.

Getting angry with the child or a spouse will only serve to upset everyone and make it LESS likely that the child will want to work on improving their grades! Your husband needs to realise this and back off.
    Manth

Answer by Manth at 8:16 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Well he needs to focus with you on what support and skills he needs to learn to improve his grades.

I was always told C was normal, but in my home as a child and now C was not acceptable. It does not get you scholorships or show a dedication to excellence.

The child may need help learning study skills, he may just be slacking off.

What is his homework routine and how does he track / prioritize in school assignments?
    Praying

Answer by Praying at 10:11 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Yes, it's always my fault. Like no one has responsibility for anything including my husband and son. My husband likes to give orders and discipline but is never there to enforce it or do the time to make sure the boy is putting enough time in his studies. I am the only women in the house, work full time and somehow have become the doormat.
    Mombra

Answer by Mombra at 10:41 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• damn my mom would have stuck that on the frig if we had c's as a child now i could see if he had F's or something and teachers right that he was being rude but C's is good just means that is a course you need too work a bit harder on and maybe ask him if he totally under stands it he may not and doesn't want to say something too the teacher thinking other kids would think he is dumb
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Mar. 6, 2009