How do you save money on groceries?

I coupon clip and shop the sales, but I still don't manage to get as good "deals" on groceries as I have heard about people getting. It still cost me $100 a week to feed our family of 5 including our pet items and household items but I've heard about people who do it even cheaper. What's your secret if you have one?

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 7:52 PM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Money & Work

• I sat down and planned exactly what I would cook for dinner for the next two weeks and tried to work in some of the things we already had in the cabinet. I only bought exactly what we needed for those planned meals and our grocery bill went from $384.00 to $165.00. We had a bad habbit of going through the store and grabbing what we thought we wanted. This way we know exactly what we will need and it really cuts out the excess. Hope that helps you and your family.
    CaseyErin

Answer by CaseyErin at 9:08 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I don't do this, but I saw a show on Dr. Phil earlier this week that some people go to the bakery outlets for their bread items.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 7:54 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Ya that is where we get our bread items
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 7:59 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I have tried to switch alot of our groceries over to the store brand, I buy the smallest size to try it the first time, and some things I make sure my husband and son don't see the package until after they have eaten it once!
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 8:02 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I do go to a Wonder/Hostess bakery outlet to buy our breads and some snack items but those snack items there are NOT healthy at all lol. But its good for an occasional cheap snack when they want a sweet. I also am shopping at the commissary on base which is good because the prices are lower, but I end up buying like organic milk and stuff because of the health concerns. As far as items OTHER than dairy, meat, and produce though, I end up still spending over $50 per week. Ugh. I do the coupons and all but it never adds up to much.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 8:06 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• We shop at Aldi's quite a bit. I've not found cheaper grocery prices any where else, and we've never gotten anything that wasn't pretty much as good as name brand prices.

BTW, I think if you are feeding a family of 5 on $100/week that you are doing pretty good!
    Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 8:06 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I use coupons as much as I can and go to the dollar store for all my paper goods; it's 50% cheaper there than the supermarket. I just try to buy items that are on sale. I know it's hard isn't it?
    Jerseymom1228

Answer by Jerseymom1228 at 8:15 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• try frugalcouponmom.com and couponmom.com
    Buy store brand or use a coupon, stick to a list, limit or don't buy at all processed or pre-packaged food items. Shop sales ads from stores. Shop at cheaper stores. Stock up on stuff that you use that is buy one get one free.
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 8:21 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• grocerygame.com

Seriously - they do all the work for me. Aside from that, make sure you are getting the biggest circulation paper in your area to get the most coupons Check out their message boards, too, and you'll find tons of ideas on other stuff you can do to go even cheaper and/or greener - making your own cleaning products, or ways to use things you don't normally think of - for ex: I never buy laundry detergent if I have to pay more than $1 for it, and since I stockpile, I have plenty on hand. I am not as lucky getting bathroom cleaner that cheap, but, if you dilute a little laundry detergent in a spray bottle, it workse great for cleaning the tub - the stuff it "eats" in your cloths is the same stuff stuck to your shower wall.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:23 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• We order AngelFood every month. We get $60.00 - $70.00 worth of  high quality, name brand groceries for the price of only $30.00.  We really love it.

Anonymous