My question became closed not sure if I did it accidentaly but wanted to post it again dealing with history on American being a republic?

I will admit never was big on history while in school but the other question that was going about America as a republic but we are called a deomocracy so much so when did it start shifting to a democracy. I watched a video about the different roles in government that explains the different roles but did not give you a understanding why we are a democracy when suppose to be a republic.

http://www.wimp.com/thegovernment

lisadallasr

Asked by lisadallasr at 7:59 PM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Friday ty for your answers in the other one, not sure if I hit the wrong button I was trying to respond and i might of hit closed question, I knew that the different parties didn't have anything do with America being a republic or a democracy but I always hear people saying we live in a democracy when in fact it is suppose to be a republic
    lisadallasr

Answer by lisadallasr at 8:01 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• your question is not close it's right at the bottom of the page
    Anonymous

• That wasn't my question it was the one that got me to ask this one, im not very history savvy and really just started learning more and more about politics in the last year so I really was wondering about this.
    lisadallasr

Answer by lisadallasr at 8:05 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• As someone said in the other posters question about this, America is a Democratic Republic. We can't be a true democracy because we vote for representatives to make decisions for us. We don't vote directly on all issues and laws.
    CluelessCarrie

Answer by CluelessCarrie at 9:48 PM on Mar. 5, 2009