Does anyone have a child w/ ADD?

My 8th grade daughter says school is getting harder and harder and is getting an "F" in every core subject she has(exept P.E.- she's gotten all "A"'s). I'm so frustrated because her teachers tell me she's respectful in class, shows up for lunchtime detention, doesn't ditch school, but when turning in assignments, they are always done incorrectly. When I try helping her with her work, she yells at me, tells me to stop "ruining" her life, and when her teachers try and help her, she tells them she understands, but doesn't really get it at all. Could this be ADD or, is she just giving up because school has gotten harder. Help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:07 PM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I have been told my son has ADD and he does not give up he works very hard at trying to do good. yet my daughter at a young age got very discouraged at reading she still dislikes it but reads at normal level. I dont know my son has not reached that level but he does try really hard to do good. His attention span is just short and does not remeber corrections very long it seems. Sorry if this does not help.
    snakeeyes

Answer by snakeeyes at 8:12 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Have the school test for learning disabilities, some don't really show up until later. My nephew was in 9th grade before they found out he was dyslexic, until then he had always done good in school, in middle school he started having a hard time and by 9th grade he was ready to drop out until they found the problem and got him the help he needed.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 8:27 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• The school she attends doesn't test for dyslexia. We have to pay outside agency's for her to be tested for that, and it's like $500!
    Anonymous

• That is NOT OKAY! I would call the guidance counselor then the principal, then go to the school board and if need be call the local news paper. That is saying that kids with learning disability are SOL if the parents cannot afford the testing- I believe that is ILLEGAL- the school is REQUIRED to provide EVERY child with an education.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 9:44 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Dear anonymous, It is not okay that the school will not test ... It is law that they test for learning disabilities. Read up on the 501 act and the IDEA ( Individualized Educations Act) I'm sure you could google the information and read up so that when the school says no you have the legal amunition to say you are wrong and this is why. They are legally obligated to do these things but some schools don't want to bother. This is your child and there is no one else to be an advocate for your child. Learn all you can and then go to those who can take action without it costing you. There is a new way of treating dyslexia with different shades of see through color especially for your child's type of problem. This is not something a school district would pay for ... but if the tests are given and this is what your child has ... it would be worth looking into
    JMT6419

Answer by JMT6419 at 12:35 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• My 15 yr old son has ADHD & ODD.
    pinkflowerpetal

Answer by pinkflowerpetal at 11:01 AM on Mar. 7, 2009