medications while breastfeeding

I've been getting awful headaches lately that my doctor says are from allergies... I get migraines, sinus, and tension headaches.. I was wondering what OTC medicines I can take that will help with the headaches... I'm breastfeeding my 6month old DS so I'm not sure what I can take anymore.. I know tylenol is safe... unfortunately it doesn't help with these headaches.. well dulls them slightly and I don't remember where I put the bottle anyways... mommy memory rocks huh!?

alinker

Asked by alinker at 8:13 PM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Health

• You need to ask your doctor. I'm surprised he/she didn't recommend anything.
    Nunyabiznes

Answer by Nunyabiznes at 8:17 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• unfortunately most migraine mead can not safely be used while BFing... i found out the hard way... i lived on Advil... the other thing that can cause headaches like that is dehydration, which shouldn't be an issue with a nursing momma since you're always thirsty! when i am not nursing (which won't be ever again, tubal) i do use RX migraine meds, but i simply endured the headaches while i was nursing, i know that doesn't help much. things like Kava Kava are helpful to relieve tension, and safe while pregnant, though most mainstream MD's know little about the proper usage of herbals... talk to a good apothecary... they'll likely have the best answers...

ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:23 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• had several "pytos"...

there are a lot of herbals that are safe while pregnant and nursing... and actually benefit the both of you... a good MW will also have some great suggestions for you, they usually offer awesome BFing support, and are knowledgable in those ares as well...

good luck!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:25 PM on Mar. 5, 2009