If you DO NOT homeschool, why not?

We homeschool and we get asked all the time why we choose to homeschool. I just wanted to know, if you don't homeschool, why not? I personally cannot imagine doing anything else, so the idea of sending my kids to a public, or even private school, seems foreign to me.

BTW, I am asking this in a polite manner, so please answer the same way!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:14 PM on Mar. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• I would LOVE to Home School but my hubby won't let me! Hes too mainstream, predictable and Scared

bad

NEMOMOFBOYS

Answer by NEMOMOFBOYS at 12:39 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Honestly my son and I would NOT make it through homeschooling! There is no way when he was younger that either one of us could have handled it.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 8:16 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I would have loved to- my kids are both in middle school now. Sadly, I had to go back to work full time and living in California, couldn't make it work financially to stay home to do that with them. Any other cheaper state, and I would have in a heart beat. But, divorce from my kids dad has forced me to stay in the state to raise them until they are 18. Seems so unfair, but, that's another discussion. =)
    Danishlady

Answer by Danishlady at 8:19 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• When my sons are schoolage, I won't have the luxury of staying home to homeschool them. I also have no desire to. I don't have the proper training, I don't know it all. They deserve to be challenged by peers and be exposed to a variety of people, personalities, and situations.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 8:20 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I don't feel that the education I can give is nearly as good as what the schools can do. I also feel that it is very important that they get out in the world and interact with other children. And although I know not all homeschooled children are sheltered the ones that I have known were always "under educated" and FAR behind everyone else. In fact NONE of the ones I have worked with were even close to ready to be in the world... I, personally, feel that you are doing your children a HUGE disservice if you do not public school them when they are young. Learning to survive in the croud is something they will need to learn some time. I think the sooner the better.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:21 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I play a very active role in my kids schooling, but I couldn't imagine home schooling... I have a sister that has been teaching for yrs, and she has a very hard job. I know I couldn't teach our boys what they need to learn to prepare them for college etc... They need the interaction with other kids, I want them to have good memories of Prom, Homecomings, sports, and the Art programs... They have awesome teachers at our boys school, I have a lot of confidence in them...
    4x4mum

Answer by 4x4mum at 8:21 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I also feel that children need to be exposed to as many different situations as possible. Other races, religions and political views... yadda yadda... They won't get that kind of exposure at home with me.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:22 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I don't homeschool because I know I personally don't have it in me to do a proper job. I don't have the 'stay-to-it"ness or patience to do it & I don't want to cheat my children out of an education. Not to sound like a bad mother, but I enjoy & need that break from my kids & I think my kids do too. I also worry about them getting the real world experience they need. They need to be introduced to people from different backgrounds, beliefs, lifestyles & learn how to deal with & understand them. They need to learn to problem solve without me & my DH around. They need to learn how to work with other authority figures other than their father & me. There are experiences they will get from public school that will help them in the real world. These are my personal beliefs & I am in no way saying one is better than the other. Homeschooling works for some people, it just wouldn't work for us.
    jenlenr

Answer by jenlenr at 8:26 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• We do not homeschool. I never planned to stay at home with my kids. I have been home with my stepkids and my baby since about 2 months before she was born. At this rate, I could not even imagine having the time to homeschool the way I have to run around. lol. However, I feel that my step-kids will learn better from someone who has been to school for teaching. I do a pretty good job of explaining things and I am returning to school this summer actually for Elementary Education, but I feel more comfortable with them going to school. Kids act different for their parents than they do for others.

Also, my step daughter was already in public school when I came into the picture. Now, I am VERY involved in my stepkids education. My baby is not there yet. lol. I keep e-mail contact with the teachers. I go into the school regularly and I talk to the teacher as much as I can. I do all the homework with the kids, etc.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 8:26 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I dont feal like I can teach them as much as public school could.
    lorenzosgurl

Answer by lorenzosgurl at 8:26 PM on Mar. 5, 2009