6 year old...asking about sex?!

my 6yearold stepdaughter has been asking ME about sex lately, she wont say the word, she'll say "what happends". I assume she's heard about it at school from older kids, etc. But i dont know, should i explain it to her, or atleast a little bit? (me and her father have full custody of her, her mother left her when she was 3) My husband says that he's not sure, but when she heard me talking to him about it (her asking about it), she said "dont tell daddy, hes a BOY". i couldent help but laugh, but i dont know what to do about the situation. Any advice is welcome...

lovelymommy2009

Asked by lovelymommy2009 at 8:17 PM on Mar. 5, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Just be honest. ...you dont have to give full on details. ...but education is a good thing.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 8:20 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Ask her what she thinks happens. You can go from there.

In my opinion, this is on a need-to-know basis. A six year old doesn't need to know much.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 8:20 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I agree with timelessglass. Tell her as little as what satisfies her question. She'll ask for greater detail soon enough!

Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 8:23 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Just answer the questions that she's asking, be honest with out being too graphic....don't give leading answers. There is a book called "how you got to be you". I have it somewhere at my house...I can't remember who it's by....but it's made for kids ages 8 and older (I think). It explains everything about sex...but not in terms that are unhealthy for an inquisitive young child. Anyway, if you are interested, when I find the book, I'll look this question back up and give you the author's name.
    momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 8:32 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• when i was her age, i saw this cartoon video about the birds and the bees..it explained what i needed to know without giving away too many details. i was too embarrassed after the video to ask my parents any questions who watched it w me.lol
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 8:36 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• i would be concerned where the curiosity is coming from. I have never heard of young elementary students talking about sex. however, i would definately just tell her what she needs to know like the other moms have said.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 8:46 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• go to the book store their are books that are age appropriate. And you should ask what has she heard. Sometime it might not be what you think.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 8:47 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• gammie, that reminds me of a story I heard about a little boy who's mom thought he asked the question. He said, "Where did I come from?" She told him about the birds and the bees and then he answered, "Oh, because Zac came from San Diego." Totally wasn't what he was wanting to know! LOL
    sparrowprincess

Answer by sparrowprincess at 8:58 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I thought thats what she was asking! but when i asked "what do you mean" she said "you know. Giselle and Shyna (my other kids) and other peoples babies"
    lovelymommy2009

Answer by lovelymommy2009 at 9:03 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• She trusts you and wants to have a semi important conversation with you! How exciting! I think that you should just be honest and straightforward, let her lead the conversation. It's so funny, when my boys start asking little questions like that, I just answer away (need to know, based on age of course). Being a stepmom myself, I can see why you would want to get dad involved, but she obviously has a close relationship with you and you can use that to your advantage in the future! Just next time she brings it up, ask her what she wants to know. Believe me it won't be as much as you imagine and you can always follow up with more information later. Give her your family morals, let her know about stranger danger and the no touch policy (NO one touches you except rare instances like a doctor whatever) Follow her lead! Good LUCK!
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 10:12 PM on Mar. 5, 2009