My 5 year old will not go to bed at night.

I have four children, the older ones go to bed fine. My youngest will not go to sleep, or stay in bed. I tried letting her play for 30 min at bed time, and told her when her time was up she had to go to sleep which worked for a little while. She is up most nights until 1:00am. I get her up in the morning, and she is crabby all day. Any advice?

Asked by Ty48 at 12:07 AM on Jun. 20, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Does she ask questions every 5 mins like her brain is just going and going and she is at 100% energy all the time? I just had my 5 yr old evaluated and she has ADHD. She does the exact same thing. I am totally exhausted. I would be totally exhausted if she were an only child (I have 4, a 16 yr old and almost 6 yr old triplets).

Answer by mishy at 12:11 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• i change the clock time and put her to bed 2 hours earlier and give her warm tea

Answer by Patience1 at 12:54 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Do you have a bedtime routine? I found when my son was younger, I had to have a bedtime routine or he won't go to bed. The routine included bath time, and reading a story. If he isn't stay in bed, he got punished.

Answer by joyfulmom30 at 11:24 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Start a bedtime routine reading books and that sort of thing. Also make sure she is getting enough exersize during the day to make her tired at night. Last but not least sometimes as moms we don't want to be stern with our children, but I'm assumeing she will be starting school soon and 1 a.m parties will make learning really hard for her so it might just be time for some tough love. Good Luck!

Answer by Getpaidwithxoxo at 11:27 AM on Jun. 20, 2008