What would you do if...

Im 20 years old and my fiance and I are looking into buying a house since he is about to graduate..well in the mix of trying to find a house and working with lenders they pulled my credit and found that there are 2 credit cards from capital one opened back in 2001. Im thinking I was 13 years old at the time who would have done such a thing...I owe for one $1000 and the other one for $770. So my hubby and I go to the bank to see who opened the credit cards in my name and didnt pay for them and the banker called the credit card department and they wanted me to verify the info and it happened to be my MOM!! Im really close to my mom but she never told me that she did such a thing and I suppose didnt think that I would ever find out! Im pretty pissed because I feel I cant trust anybody in my family..what would you tell your mom if she did such a thing?? How should I go about bring it up?? I feel so betrayed!

TSSN88

Asked by TSSN88 at 8:26 PM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Money & Work

• I would confront her and would probably be screaming and yelling at her and telling her she better start paying.. Probably not the best choice but thats just me.
    lorenzosgurl

Answer by lorenzosgurl at 8:32 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I would just bring it up. Tell her how you went about finding it etc. Be honest with her. Regardless of the fact that she's ur mother, she stole your identity. Therefore tarnishing your credit. Also, I'd dispute it with the CC company. You shouldn't have to be responsible for that. Good luck! This is a sucky situation.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 8:33 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I'm in the same boat! My mom did that to me, but it's way more than yours. Fax them a photocopy of your license and it should be taken off your credit.
    StifflersMom82

Answer by StifflersMom82 at 8:35 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I would just ask her about it nicely. See if she had a good reason for it. You never know what was going on. I would just try to find out what was going on without getting too angry with her. Then if you find out it is something to get upset about....then be mad. otherwise...then you can feel better about it. and see if she can pay them off.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 8:36 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• This is more common than you may think. Identity theft by family members outnumbers those done by strangers. Listen up, people...keep your private information locked up....even from family!

Take her the printout showing the cards opened by her. Demand she pay them and close them. See that it is done immediately.

If she refuses,
    you need to press charges. Your mom is a criminal.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 8:36 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• its pretty sad... my own mom. the good thing is that yes they are getting it removed and I dont have to pay a dime its just the principle i think.
    TSSN88

Answer by TSSN88 at 8:38 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• It is. My mother is getting a settlement soon, and she has agreed to pay off all my debt, because it's all her. I went through a period of not talking to her, then my friends mother died in that time. As bad as it is, and yes, it's a felony, she was still my mother.
    StifflersMom82

Answer by StifflersMom82 at 8:40 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I would sue her for it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:37 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Nope... calmly approach her and relay your expectations. As in...I need you to pay these and make my credit right. hopefully, she has enough integrity to repair the situation since she caused it.
    dari_justice

Answer by dari_justice at 9:10 AM on Mar. 6, 2009