i have an 8 day old and feeling overwhelmed

my little boy is 8 days old. . Im beginning to feel very overwhelmed. . Which i shouldn't be because i live at home with my fiancee and my parents. My mom helps me daily by watching him for two hours in the morning so i can get some sleep. Sometimes i even find myself crying for no reason. I almost feel like im not ready for this. But it doesn't make sense. . I love my son more than anything in life. . Whats up with this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:33 PM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sounds like baby blues. Perfectly normal. You may want to discuss PPD with your dr though, just incase. Remember, your body just went thru a WHOLE lot and your hormones are crazy right now. It's ok to feel overwhelmed and it's great that your reaching out for support. But talk to your doc and see what they say as far as dealing with this. And remember, one way or another all of us moms have been thru this. Keep reaching out!
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 8:35 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Postpartum depression! Talk to your OB-GYN. There is no reason you have to suffer and not be able to enjoy this wonderful time with your new son.

BTW, CONGRATULATIONS!

Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 8:36 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Hormones. It should go away. It could also be PPD.
    StifflersMom82

Answer by StifflersMom82 at 8:36 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Also, I have never known any woman who had an eight day old child and did not feel a little overwhelmed! It DOES NOT mean you love your son any less!
    Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 8:37 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Since it's only 8 days out...could just be your hormones being all out of whack. If you aren't beginning to feel better in a week or so, consider talking to your OB cause it could be PPD. If you need to talk or anything, PM me, I've been there with the same feelings.
    momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 8:39 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• PPD or baby blues. Talk to your doctor or ob/gyn - and don't wait!
    Anonymous

• I agree with the other posters. You still have hormones like crazy and you're not yourself because of a lack of sleep. PLUS you're trying to learn a whole new job. NO STRESS THERE! Go ahead and cry. It's good to relieve that stress. If you don't want anyone to know, take a shower with the music turned up and bawl. (worked for me)

If you don't start to feel progressively better, you may need temporary medication for postpartum depression.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 8:42 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• All these ladies who answered know what they are talking about. Take a deep breath and call or go see your doctor. There is no reason for you to deal with this alone. You just went through nine months of preparation for your child so please give yourself time to adjust to having him with you now. Congratulations on the new baby.
    BooBear666

Answer by BooBear666 at 8:45 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I think the hardest thing for me when I had my first was adjusting to the attention shifting away from me and to her. That was kind of overwhelming (I felt selfish). You should probably try to talk to your doc about it. Lots of new mommies feel down for a while after the baby's born.
    Anonymous

• Don't take PPD lightly. Get help if it doesn't go away soon. Are you sleeping in excess? that too can be a sign of PPD.
    mothermayiam

Answer by mothermayiam at 8:50 PM on Mar. 5, 2009