My daughter is so concerned about being the prettiest.

She's very much into Princesses, and classic princesses are always the most beautiful. She lately started saying "I'm prettier than you" to me, and I laughed. (mistake 1) Then, she started "I'm prettier than (my friend)". That's when I realized this has to stop. I told her that none of the princesses were concerned about their beauty, and the person who was worried about being the most beautiful was the evil queen from Snow White. That scared her, but she still says some times, and I can tell that she really doesn't understand it. I told her about the inner beauty, but she doesn't understand it. She's almost four. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Meachan

Asked by Meachan at 8:42 PM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• She will understand having one of her princess toys (tiara, dresses, book, etc.) taken away each time she says that. Let her know you will take one of these items away from her every time she says she is prettier than_____ because it is a rude remark and one that isn't going to be tolerated.

She'll cry or throw a tantrum, but stand your ground and she'll learn.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 8:50 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• My daughter and Daddy argue about who is the prettiest ! I tell both of them has the big head and full of themselves. It's good to have some pride about how you look , but you just need to redirect her to see that what's inside is just as important if not more so. Tell her that her manners and attitudes can make her even more pretty. She's young just don't emphasize or draw attention when she does brag. She will soon see that being pretty is not that important. Also let her know that you do think she is pretty because she is your little girl--- Mommy's always think their babies are beautiful! Don't worry too much about it right now. You can redirect her pretty well right now.
    jlaney

Answer by jlaney at 9:10 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Isn't it amazing how they are already starting to think about these things at an early age? My daughter is 3 and says that she is not pretty unless she has her lip gloss on. It breaks my heart that she actually thinks that! I tell her she is beautiful all the time! My daughter in into the princesses too but I think she has picked up alot of bad things from these movies. She likes to fight with swords and stuff. I would do what the other post said and take away a tiara or something that will get her attention!
    Anonymous

• Maybe if she is prettier than evberyone else perhaps those ugly individuals are better at somethign thanm her. For instance "I'm prettier than you mommy!"
    "Indeed you are, but did you know mommy can make better cookies than you? And thats okay because everyone is good at somethings adn not so good at others but it's not very nice to point out when we can do something better than someone else. It hurts other peoples feelings and make them fell bad,"

Thats all I got hun otherwise im guessing in time she will grow out of it
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 11:13 PM on Mar. 5, 2009