How can I get my son to go #2 on the Potty?

He won't do it. He just goes in his underwear. He has been peeing all the time for the past two months, but he just won't poop! He did last Thursday, and on his own. That was it though..any advice?

StifflersMom82

Asked by StifflersMom82 at 8:49 PM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• everytime he does it make him turn his undies inside out and dump the poop in the toilet. when i was little my mom made me do that and i never pooped in my pants again.
    jody1130

Answer by jody1130 at 8:56 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Oh he does that on his own, and pretends he went in the potty and not his underwear, lol.
    StifflersMom82

Answer by StifflersMom82 at 9:05 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• have you tried making him sit on the potty until he goes?
    jody1130

Answer by jody1130 at 9:14 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• OMG...thanks for this question. My son does the same thing...except he wont go in his underwear..he will hold his poop in until he gets a pull up on to go to bed then he will poop in his pull up.
    alaskansglmom

Answer by alaskansglmom at 9:23 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Yes. He's sat on the potty for hour's lol. He just won't do it. Sometime's he waits on a pullup for bedtime.
    StifflersMom82

Answer by StifflersMom82 at 9:30 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Im not sure if it will work for every kid, but you get to know your child's rhythms. When I was PT Nate, I knew that he would go not long after eating, and it was pretty daily. So when i knew he was due, when he felt the need to go potty, or when i saw him going off on his own (he would squat behind furniture and things..a few times he actually pooped on the floor!!) i would go with him into the bathroom and explain to him how impoertant it was to go on the potty and not to rush. We'd take books (EVERYONE loves reading material!) in there or toys and just sit there. ALWAYS made a big fuss when he went in the potty. Had a sticker chart on the BR wall and all..
    NaterbugsMom

Answer by NaterbugsMom at 9:35 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• REWARDS!! We expressed our dissappointment when he would go in his big boy undies.(I took diapers completely away from him, he either had big boy undies on or was pantless(at home) and NO pullups theyre just like diapers.) We remindeed him very often that he was a big boy and big boys poop in the potty. We told him how everyone poops in the potty, mommy, daddy, cousins, grandma, friends, etc. so he wants to do it too. We also promised him special treats for doing so. I kept a paper bag of small goodies toys and candy up in the bathroom so he knew if he pooped in the potty he could pick one. And we promised him if he pooped in the potty everyday for a week he would get a big wheels. When he does poop in the potty clap, high five, laugh and act so excited and say how proud you are.
    meant2Bme

Answer by meant2Bme at 10:12 PM on Mar. 5, 2009