do you really have to take a cna class before you take the cna certification test?

i am trying to figure out if i am required to take a cna class before i take the cna test. i only ask since you are able to buy the book at a bookstore for $50 rather then pay $300 for a class that is basicly like a sat prep class. ive been looking around at the classes and none that i have found actually show you how to do anything except for open a book and take notes of things that MIGHT be on the test. i mean, i can do the same thing from a book in my own home or even go to the library and do it all for free!!!

usmcgirl86

Asked by usmcgirl86 at 8:58 PM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Money & Work

• yes because you have to bring in a certificate when you do the certification test that says you did the number of hours of training you have to do before getting certified
    Anonymous

• Yes you do. If you have not found a program that teaches you hands on patient care, I would keep on looking!
    Magpie75

Answer by Magpie75 at 9:23 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• WIA paid for me to take the cna classes...maybe you could look into something like that
    dze527

Answer by dze527 at 9:26 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• what the PP said. i however didnt qualify for WIA and paid 515 dollars for it and 95 for the exam. but i've been a CNAfor 3 years anow. i lvoe it!
    ssnelson26

Answer by ssnelson26 at 1:58 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• There is book life and then there is real life. When I went to clinicals (Ohio requires so many hours) it was eye opening and also prepared me for what it will be like once I pass the state test and I am out working.

I paid $395 for class, clinic, TB test and book. I have to pay 100 for test. There is a strong chance of getting reimbursed if I choose to work in a long term care facility.
    partiesbyjan

Answer by partiesbyjan at 5:23 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I was a nurse's aide for three years, and you need more than a book to get certified. You can train for free at most nursing homes. Any place that wants you to pay so much money is ridiculous

This job is not for the squeamish, you'll deal with a lot of gross stuff and its a very difficult and dirty job. I had to clean the deceased bodies as well.

Taking a class will involve two things, standard lecture but also you are required by the state to complete so many hours of clinical (hands-on patient care) that is ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY because you'll need to provide documentation of this in order to take your state cert. exam. That is why it is CNA Certified Nursing Assistant.

This is one of those jobs where you just cannot read a book from the book store and go apply for the job. When you apply for a CNA job, they'll want to see your certificate based on the test you took, but they'll ask you how much clinical hours you put in
    lilmizmoore1127

Answer by lilmizmoore1127 at 8:49 AM on Mar. 6, 2009