Can some explain this to me??

I dont understand why the bible says you dont get to heaven through good works but through accepting the lord into your heart but then the bible says many references about people sinning and going to hell believers or not.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:18 PM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• can you explain further, maybe provide scriptures.
    Anonymous

• I think I know what you are saying but would like to know a specific scripture just to be sure I am on the right track. :-)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 9:54 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Because it's not about doing good out of fear, it's about a change of heart to not want to do those things anymore. For example, I was living a pretty wild life in high school, partying and clubbing and all the behavior that goes along with that lifestyle. When I found Jesus, I no longer had the desire to do those things, HE changed my heart.
    MicahsMom612

Answer by MicahsMom612 at 9:54 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Jesus Christ died to open the gates of Heaven that were closed after Adam fell. There is NOTHING a human can do to get himself into Heaven--only through the price Jesus paid on the cross--thus the Perfect Sacrifice. This Sacrifice is the Redemption---accepting Redemption leads to Salvation. We all have the opportunity to turn to Christ and accept Redemption and thus Salvation. All mankind have been redeemed--those that have accepted and LIVED it will be saved. You can throw this "gift" back at God any time you want and thus go to Hell. Works do not save a human soul but are the fruits of living for Christ. One cannot be living for Christ and lack "good works"--but there is no "good works" that will get you into Heaven. We are saved by Grace alone---and thus our lives show the love of God through the works we do. A tree is known by its fruit.......

Anonymous

• anon you said it!!!
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 11:00 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I second what Hinson said.. Well done!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:02 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Very good explanation anon! Well said.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 7:55 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Whoa have you forgotten about Mt 25 31- 45. Where Christ is chasiting those who do not feed the hungery, Clothe the naked and so on? Faith without works is dead and works without faith is also dead. One has to work with the other.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 11:19 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I needed to step back a sec. What I'm trying to say is this. yes Christ did pay a debt that we could not even Begin to pay back ourselves. But If we just sit back and say I believe hallelujah. all is forgiven and not work on ourselves, with God's help, or try to help others, by helping those through works of mercy.  Then we are not living or preaching the Gospel. Preach the Gospel at all times when necessary use words. So faith alone will not do it. As will works alone will not.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 11:43 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I believe that "works" or "fruit" are a blessing to the Lord and that it is the least we can do to show our appreciation and reverence for Him BUT I believe we all have week moments where our fruits/works slack or are even cease due to sin, tragedy or whatever. While I believe "fruit" is what God wants us to bear, I don't believe having a moment of weakness, and that if you happened to die during that time, it would send you to hell. The Lord forgives us, even for week moments in faith and in service. He knows our hearts and understands the flesh is weak. He forgives us in the moment and leads us out of it. Look at David for example. He basically killed Uriah (sp) and had an affair with Basheba, yet the Lord still knew the heart of David and called him "A man after God's own heart". God loves us regardless....he knows our hearts.....and our minds and forgives us for our failures.

deedee3849

Answer by deedee3849 at 12:12 PM on Mar. 6, 2009