How can you be there for someone with diabetes?

A lady I'm living with has diabetes. She actually crashed last night, and I really want to be able to watch for signs if she's getting ready to crash. I also want to be able to be her emotional support.

Can anyone send me a link, or help me out here? I do have my CNA license.. so I know basic stuff.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:28 PM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Health

• I don't know about the medical signs, but for support you can do a lot of things. Since you both live together change your diet to match her when you eat at home. It can be a stressful change for someone newly diagnosed and kinda irritating to watch someone eat something that can potentially kill you. Don't be over bearing. Don't constantly ask her if she has checked her sugar or taken meds. If you are out and see something she may like that would help her pick it up. For example diabetics often have foot problems. Get her some herbal foot soak. Let her vent about it. I had gestational diabetes and would always bitch about it to DH. It felt good. She crashed because she isn't taking care of herself. There may be some depression. Do things to cheer her up and let her know you are there.  Google friends of diabetics and see what comes up.

sunshine06

Answer by sunshine06 at 10:53 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• When a diabetic is about to crash they will begin to behave like they are drunk.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 10:55 PM on Mar. 5, 2009