why is my dog limping?

when my dog lays down for an hour or so...when she gets up, she yelps and then sort of limps around for a little bit. She is a pretty large dog- 51 pounds- a beagle/lab mix...she is about 7 years old....is she getting old or could something be wrong with her?

How long does a large dog live?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:46 PM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Pets

• She may have some arthritis in her hips.Your best bet would be to have your vet take a look at her.As for the life span of a large dog it is hard to guess as each one is different.Most large dogs do not live as long as small ones so I would say that 7-10 years would be an average age.
    Tikismom

Answer by Tikismom at 10:47 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• My dog just did this tonight!
    It scared me, but I thought it was from laying around too much. He's 8 and half Bloodhound/half Rottweiller. I think we should get our dogs some Glucosamine! How about you?
    Godsgirl50

Answer by Godsgirl50 at 1:36 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Yeah, especially with large breeds, they start getting arthritis as they age. Also in some dogs (like the Rottie mix) they carry a predisposition for getting hip dysplasia (causes the hip to pop out of socket).

I suggest getting some extra padding for her bed (or the area she likes to sleep in the most) or even getting an elevated dog bed (it kinda looks like a cot) The elevation keeps them from having to use so much force/pressure to get all the way up from the floor.

And of course, see your vet if you think shes in a lot of pain or constant pain.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 2:45 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I'm not sure about your breed, but alot of large dogs are prone to hip problems, especially when they get older. The vet warned me about that with my collie. She is only 1 and 1/2 now so luckily, I won't have to worry for a while, but definitely get her into the vet. It could be anything from the onset of arthritis to a serious injury.
    angelsweet84

Answer by angelsweet84 at 4:38 PM on Mar. 10, 2009