Cheerleading? Hmmmm. I'm not sure

My 6 year old stepdaughter is in gymnastics, cheerleading, and dance. She wants to do only cheer and gymnastics now, which im fine with (whatever makes her happy). She recently tryed out for a little kids All-Star cheerleading squad and got in. I was a cheerleader in highschool, so i know a lot about it. But the thing is, they want her to go up to a 9-11 year olds level and she's 6 (so she should be in the 5-7 age level) im not sure if im okay with this. My husband, being a guy, doesnt get what it means so he doesnt have much of a opinion on it. But what it means is that shes at a higher risk for injury because 9-11 year olds do more stunts (she'd be a flyer and tumbler) any advice?

lovelymommy2009

Asked by lovelymommy2009 at 10:11 PM on Mar. 5, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would keep her in her level(5-7 age level).
    lorenzosgurl

Answer by lorenzosgurl at 10:23 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I would let her go. I mean...why hold her back? she is obviously good at it. You may be raising a gold medalist!
    ChaoticSoul

Answer by ChaoticSoul at 10:25 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• i think it would be more dangerous if she is in her own age level and she is way more advanced so she is going to want to try things other girls are not ready for. i would ask her teacher/instucter to let you watch her practice with the older kids and see how she handles it. is she way behind or is she right there with them. my dd is also in cheer and she is very good says she want to be a Dallas cowboy cheerleader when she gets big.

twinsnseptember

Answer by twinsnseptember at 10:40 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• i'd personally check out the other group see what they do and then decide. she already has the training being in gymnastics as well an tha'ts probably why they are wanting to move her up. give a shot. you can't knock it till it's tried. ask them if she can sit in one day and practice and see how you like it. congrats to her!!
    ssnelson26

Answer by ssnelson26 at 1:52 AM on Mar. 6, 2009