has anyone ever said this to you?

not long as my baby was born someone told me not to pick him up or carry him around to much because i would spoil him. that is about the stupidest thing i'ver ever heard!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:13 PM on Mar. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• People are dumb.
    Duckieglc

Answer by Duckieglc at 10:14 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• hahahahaha! i am SOOOOOO glad that you think that is stupid.
    On a different but related note. ...Look into getting your self some form of a baby carrier. A sling or a wrap or something!
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 10:15 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• yes everyone told me that and that he was going to be slow cuz i didnt let him develope and learn buttt maybe its cuz i held him 24/7 idk i didnt listen to them and hes not spoild and hes ahead in everything hes supose to being doing
    masonsmommy921

Answer by masonsmommy921 at 10:16 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• My mom told me that, but my sister was quick to tell me to hold my babies as much as I can cause 1 day will come they will get big and not want to be held anymore, my 19 month old son is already that way thank goodness I have my 2 month old who still wants me to hold her all the time
    JAJA_Steele

Answer by JAJA_Steele at 10:18 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I was told that but didn't ever believe it. I didn't carry my kids around because it hurted my back. My kids were huge...LOL
    There was no way. If I did carry them it would be to burp them or something like that and I was always sitting. But as far as having them on my hip all the time was impossible. It hurted like hell.

On another note there are some babies that want nothing more than to be held because that is what they are used to. Once you put them down they cry and won't stop until they are picked up. I don't know if you have ever witnessed it but I have with others children.
    mommatime78

Answer by mommatime78 at 10:18 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• My EX MIL,lol She wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed,lol I just told her I'm the Mom, I will do what I feel is best... Thank goodness she lived 800 miles away...
    4x4mum

Answer by 4x4mum at 10:19 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I have heard that by so many people I was told to not to carry them to much but i did anywaise but a couple of my friends kids did turn out to act very spoiled and would throught a fit if there mom(my friends) wouldnt carry them or pick them all the time and they were 2 1/2 - 3 years old. My kids dont like me holding them anymore so for me carrying them to much when they were little didnt make them spoiled but i have seen it happen.
    lorenzosgurl

Answer by lorenzosgurl at 10:20 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I carry my DD and hold her a lot. It hasn't seemed to spoil her. Leaving the room is another problem. I can't leave the room without her having a complete meltdown. If she can see me it is all good, the second I walk away it is on. Do whatever you feel is right for your child and everything else will fall into place.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:13 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I've heard it before. I held my first DD for, like, the first three months of her life. I thought I always had to be holding her. My grandma pried her out of my hands and laid her on a blanket on the floor and she started rolling over. My grandma was like "See! You should have let her down long ago!" and since then I've let my kids have their freedom - so they can learn to do things without me. Not to say that my way is the best day - I just wanted to share my little story. :-D
    Anonymous

• Yeah, I got that a lot. I was really into Baby Wearing (still am when the stinker lets me!!) and I have done a lot of research on it...babies who are "worn" or constantly held (my son was always in an Ergo Baby) tend to be much more verbally advanced. And emotionally happy/fulfilled. Do whatever your heart tells you is best!!
    CroppingQueen

Answer by CroppingQueen at 11:19 PM on Mar. 5, 2009