Does your child act differnt towards you when you are around other people?

It seems like my daughter who turned 3 in Dec. tries me more, acts up and is mean to me when we are around other people and especially my parents! She will be so sweet and then we get around other people and she is different. Why/ And what can I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:20 PM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Welcome to my world. My son is 4 yr. old and he does the exact same thing. Everyone tells me how good he has been for them or that he had a great day. As soon as I step foot in a room with him it is like he is another child. I think it is for attention. He will even apologize for certain behaviors at night when he goes to bed. He doesn't like for me to be mad at him, so he thinks he can charm his way out of it. I swear it must be a boy/man thing because his daddy is the same way.
    wileyzanesmom

Answer by wileyzanesmom at 10:48 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• My daughter does this from time to time and I will immediately put her in a seperate room in time out. I make it clear if she continues to treat me that way we will leave. She only tried it again once and we did leave. Now she knows that I mean business and usually a reminder of the consequence gets her behavior back to normal....whatever that is for a 4 year old! Hope that helps!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:50 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• My kids are usually the opposite. They are normally (there are times...) very well behaved when other people are around and act like heathens when it's just us. So no one believes me when I've had a rough day with them because "they're always soooo sweet!" Yeah, uh huh...
    Anonymous