Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What should I do?

When I was 15, my 28 year old boyfriend got me pregnant. At the time I didn't understand how wrong the situation was and did everything in my power to keep him out of trouble because we were in "love". WELL fast forward 3 years...We haven't been together for about six months now. Everyone around me has been encouraging me to press charges but I haven't because I didn't want to take him out of our daughters life. He informed me recently that he will no longer be in his daughters life or pay me any money and there is nothing i can do about it because he is not on the birth certificate. If I put him on the birth certificate now though, he will go to prison because of how old I was when our daughter was concieved. I just don't know what to do. I don't want my daughter to hate me for taking her father away but I need help from him even if the courts have to force him.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 10:26 PM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Relationships

Answers (8)
  • If he is leaving you it is most likely to pursue some other young girl. Do what you need to do to take care of your daughter! If he goes to prison it will be no one's fault but his own!!! And you daughter will probably be better off without him any way. He sounds like a real winner!

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

  • ummm...if that was true then my husband would have been in trouble a long time ago. Don't let him full you...DNA tests work wonders.

    Answer by ChaoticSoul at 10:29 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

  • You would not be taking her father away from her if he already said he doesn't want anything to do with her. Put his name on the birth certificate, he needs to help take care of his child no matter what happens.

    Answer by lilbit837 at 10:29 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

  • im with lilbit

    Answer by aliciatron at 10:39 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

  • wow that is a tough situation. I can totally understand where you are coming from, but if he is no longer interested in being there for her and having a relationship with her, I say put him on the certificate and make him at least be there financially. On the same note though, I would contact a lawyer for a free consult to make sure that if he is forced to pay child support due to his name being on the cert. that he would not be able to file for custody.

    Answer by vbongard at 10:48 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

  • Sounds to me like he's taking himself away, and just because he's not on the birth certificate doesn't mean it can't be proven that he's the father, DNA tests will prove it. I really have to say that he doesn't sound like a good guy at all if he was sleeping with a 15 year old GIRL when he was a 28 year old MAN, that's illegal for a reason, I know that when you think you're in love you want to protect even the worst of men, but in the long run it's not worth it because men like that do exactly what he did, they get what they want and they leave, usually to find another victim. You're better off on your own, press charges and do what's best for you and your daughter, she won't hate you and in the end she'll thank you for keeping a bad influence away from her.

    Answer by heratyc at 11:16 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

  • I would file for DNA & once you have that done & proof she is his he will be required to pay child support but does not HAVE to be added to the birth certificate. Atleast not in Florida.
    The say it is in the best interest of the child but probably not in your case. She is probably better off without him.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:35 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

  • Well he technically doesn't even want to be her father. He said he's not going to be in her life. I would turn him in, it's not his decision to not pay. I'm not trying to offend you but what does a fifteen year old have in common with a twenty eight year old? That's just a little weird in my opinion.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:14 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.