Getting toned.....

I have been going to the gym for about two months now. I go about 5 days a week and do cardio plus machines. I don't really need to lose weight, I just want to tone up. I have not been watching what i eat, so can I still get toned without eating right?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:26 PM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• I tell everyone this but Yoga Booty Ballet is the best EVER for toning. The DVDs are cheap, fun and they work so well. Between diet and the YBB DVDs I have lost 70 lbs. and I have more muscle, curves and tone on my body then I did when I was thin in highschool and went to the gym 6 days a week!
    aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 10:29 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Hey I am gonna try the ybb. Is it hard? I have no coordination.
    The way to tone up is do weights. Weight training may actually make you gain weight. Muscle is heavier than fat.
    What have you been doing at the gym?
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 11:35 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Honestly the YBB was hard for me when I started because I weighed 200 lbs and was very out of shape. Now at 130 lbs and in shape it is not hard at all. Some of the dance moves may seem a little silly at first but when you're sore the next day and you see the muscle building it's all worth it because they WORK! You don't need good coordination to do it at all, although the yoga and ballet sections it does help to have some balance. But they say on the tapes if you don't have any balance you can do those sections with a cane or a chair.
    aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 11:57 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Get a balance board....it's great for your core muscles and fun to do. It's hard to get the hang of at the beginning but once you learn how to balance it's effortless. I balanace while I watch TV.
    Noosh

Answer by Noosh at 9:08 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• In order to get toned, you must loose body fat and increase muscle mass. Being that you're a female you can lift weights to get toned and not be concerned about getting big (unless you have an elevated level of testosterone than what is normal in a female). The only way to get toned is to do resistive training (ie lifting weights). Do not lift to the point that you can possibly hurt yourself but it should not be an easy task. Also, depending on how badly you eat, weight training burns fat... you should do fewer sets & reps with heavier weights and more reps & sets with moderate weights. Give it a try and make sure that you vary your workouts, stick with a routine for about a week to a week and a half and then switch it up. Give it a shot and see if that helps...
    Anonymous