Should I visit the "other" family?

My 3 & 1/2yr old father lives in IL, and has not seen his son in 2 years. I have been very adamant about NOT going to visit his family in IL because I have received no support and he quit calling and checking on my son. However, there were many people in his family up there that I was, and still am, close with. They beg me to come see them, and have actually came here to visit us (not his father). So, I miss them too, and they r my son's family as well. My question is should I make a visit there or should I not even go there? I am just confused...I miss and want to see some of them too, but at the same time don't know if I should do it. Please any advice would be helpful!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:34 PM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Relationships

• I would say visit the family members who act like family, if they want to be in your son's life then they're worth having in his life, if they've proven to you that they love him and you feel close to them then they're real family, the dead beat dad doesn't have to be in the picture if you don't want him there but I'm sure the ones who care will really appreciate the visit. Good luck.
    heratyc

Answer by heratyc at 10:46 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• America is still a free country so if you want to see these folks go for it.They are your sons relatives and your friends,you don't have to let your childs father know you will be there.If he owes child support he most likely won't show up anyway.Good luck with your decision.

Tikismom

Answer by Tikismom at 10:39 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Go and enjoy yourself then come home and file for child support.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:42 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I would call them and ask if you guys could come and visit. You are right at they are still family and since you are close you should go visit. dont let the deadbeat dad ruin it for everyone else. Take some time, catch up and enjoy yourselves. :)
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 10:43 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I have already filed for child support. The father and I actually still talk once in a while, and he KNOWS we are thinking about coming up. He says he wants to see his son, but has made NO effort to come visit him here even when his other family members came. My mother would absolutely have a COW if she knew I was even THINKING about going to see them. She just despises him, but i know it is not her decision to make. I just hate having to hear it from her cuz I have to see her everyday and when she gets in her mood, its awful lol! But i do know it is not her decision to make, it is mine.
    Anonymous

• it sounds like you have it figured out. Go see the family, but don't bother seeing him. Your mother can get over it.
    Ginanne

Answer by Ginanne at 10:51 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Go see your son's family, he deserves it.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 11:09 PM on Mar. 5, 2009