How do you get a toddler to stop whining?

Our almost 3 year old whines a lot! I try to encourage him to use words, but he'd rather stamp his feet and whine. It drives me nuts!

elwalters77

Asked by elwalters77 at 2:15 PM on Jun. 18, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When my son was 3 he had a horrible whining problem. I finally just started telling him that I wasn't able to understand "whi-nese" and that when he was ready to talk to me in his normal Adam voice, then I will be more than happy to listen. After a few days, the whining dramatically diminished.
    mommytoadam

Answer by mommytoadam at 2:21 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I agree with the above poster, don't pay attention to the whinning, or tell them until u tell me what u want, I'm not paying attention. Most kids want attention when they whine, if you don't reward them for it, it will get old to them fast.
    Isabelles_mommy

Answer by Isabelles_mommy at 2:56 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Tell him very firmly that you don't understand those sounds and when he can use words then you'll listen. Then walk off or continue to do what you were doing. IGNORE the whining.
    sskyesmom

Answer by sskyesmom at 4:14 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I tell her, "Mommy doesn't play with whiners" and I walk away. It might seem mean, but it works. She'll stop whining if she doesn't have an audience to hear it.
    Anonymous

• Ignore. It may be hard, but it works. Oh and I have heard (but havent tried it) that if you were going to allow something and they whine...don't allow it---say you are going to give her a cookie, but she whines, then don't give it to her, because she may think that whining worked, and all it takes is a few times of 'giving in' or her THINKING you are giving in, and she will whine a lot (or he, ya know whatever, haha)
    ProudSingleMum

Answer by ProudSingleMum at 10:24 PM on Jun. 18, 2008