LATCH ?

Okay, Ive never quite figured out the whole LATCH thing with car seats or how to really use it... could someone explain? is it safer than using a seat belt? Also, my son is still in a carrier, and im about to switch him into a convertible, what do you suggest?

Auntiemom410

Asked by Auntiemom410 at 10:54 PM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You should use the latch until he is tall enough to use the shoulder harness safely. I would get one that will grow with him over the next few years. Good luck and I would do a little more research on the ones that you like before getting one.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:55 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• latch is simply another way to secure a safety belt it is equally effective but the latch system is easier to use. All vehicles with a back seat made after 2002 have latch. There are two hooks at the "bite" of the seat (where the seat and the back meat) you then latch the little hooks from your carseat to those two hooks and pull teh strap to tighten it and voila! car seat installed. NOW as far as convertible seats go I have used mine since my son cam ehome. Just remember to keep your child rear facing until she is 12 months AND 20 pounds but longer if you can. Rear facing is the absolute best way to travel care safety specialists are now starting to push to keep babies rear facing until 18 months
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 10:57 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• You can use a latch or a belt... either is fine. Which ever makes the tightest fit and works best with your car and car seat.

As far as a convertibles...
    The first years True Fit is a good seat
    Any of the Britax seats, although they are pretty expensive
    Evenflo Triumph Advance is nice and less expensive

We own 2 of the Evenflo Triumphs and we also have a seat we use for car pooling and as a spare... it's a Cosco Scenera
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:11 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• It's not safer, it's just as safe. LATCH or seat belt, whichever you get a good install with, is what you should use. NEVER use the two together. I think LATCH is a pain in the ass and I always use the belts. As for recommendations, I like the True Fit, we got one a few weeks ago and DS loves it, I wish I could sit in it!
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:28 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Okay thanks guys, my car is older than an 02 so I dont think LATCH will work with it anyways.
    My DD has a britax and I love it, so I might get another one of those, but they are expensive.
    Trust me, If I can rear face him until he is 16yrs, I will. lol. I've educated myself on the dangers of forward facing too young.
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 8:44 AM on Mar. 6, 2009