Do you really think American's are so greedy when we

Our business' pay higher taxes than any other country in the world

http://www.americanthinker.com/2009/03/us_companies_pay_the_highest_t.html

And our charitable giving by individual adjusted as a percentage of GDP is more than twice that of the second most charitable country??

http://engram-backtalk.blogspot.com/2007/06/charitable-giving-by-americans.html

...(and let's think about just why countries with lower taxes on busines have thriving economies hmmm...just a second question)

Praying

Asked by Praying at 11:04 PM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Which countries are you referring too? There are many, many factors.
    For one, some countries place more value on the family and encourage mothers to take up to one year of maternity leave.
    In Spain they break in the middle of the day so families can go home from work and school and eat lunch together.

Sometimes it's not about facts and figures but about the culture and the effect it has on the way people spend money or why they spend it.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 11:43 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• to, not too... sorry.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 11:45 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• heatherama:

clapping

I wish our country did more for our families.

Anonymous

• The economy, all over the world, is having trouble right now:
    http://www.pbs.org/newshour/updates/business/jan-june09/markets_02-20.html
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 11:48 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Here's some more information on corporate taxes:
    http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2008/sep/30/barack-obama/obama-oversimplifies-corporate-taxes/
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 11:53 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Well I know America is a greedy and spoiled country. I have spoken to friends from other countries and they see it that way and I hate to admit it but I agree with them wholeheartedly. Many of us do not know what it is like to be poor or in a state of constant suffering. It is really sad.
    I do not know if this answers your question properly or not .
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 11:57 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Not really, no ones addressing that American's are twice as charitable as the second most charitable country out there....sorry we don't know what it's like to be in a state of constant suffering...but we are doing our fair share to help out that's for sure!!!

Not only are we voluntarily more generous than the other rich nations of the world, but our corporations are taxed HIGHER than the rest of the world...many of those taxes are also then turn around for the good of the entire world.

I don't understand what maternity leave has to do with greed. Or how the econonmy around the world suffering is relevant to CERTAIN economies suffering LESS, and certain countries giving less. Even in peace time.

I don't think you guys are focusing.
    Praying

Answer by Praying at 12:00 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Your question has several parts so I don't know what you mean when you say I'm not focusing.
    The comment about maternity leave is just one point about cultural differences.
    Like I said, there can be many factors that determine how a country's economy works.

Economies are doing poorly all over the world. Could businesses taxes be a factor? Sure. It could be one of a dozen reasons. Different country, different circumstances.

I don't know about Americans being more charitable, I haven't researched it and that's why I didn't address it in my answer. What I do know(and what I have reasearched,) is that on paper it appears as though American businesses do pay higher taxes. However, our tax system is such that businesses can claim a whole host of deductions that end up lowering their taxes, this isn't the same system other countries follow. Again, I provided a link.
    It pertains to comments made during a Presidential debate.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 12:06 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Praying, don't forget Americans are the devil. It's ridiculously awful that we should want to live our lives the way we want to. It's much more reasonable that the government should tell us which clothes are ok to buy, and which cars, and which tv's and which lightbulbs, etc. But don't you dare make any morality laws.

That would be infringing on people's civil liberties.

I don't care what other countries think of us. I live responsibly and choose what I feel is best for my children, the community and the environment.

I guess we're just greedy because our poor have a higher standard of living than the wealthy in some other countries. That must be it.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:25 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Heather, I would check out

http://www.cafonline.org/Default.aspx?page=12183

for a scientific breakdown - I just posted the blog format so you wouldn't have to go into the pdf file...

We are more charitable and if we are, which we are, how can we be greedy?
    Praying

Answer by Praying at 12:39 AM on Mar. 6, 2009