Question for Catholics...(or whomever...)

A Roman Catholic archbishop says the abortion of twins carried by a 9-year-old girl who allegedly was raped by her stepfather means excommunication for the girl's mother and her doctors.

Abortion is generally illegal in Brazil, which is home to more Catholics than any other nation. But the procedure is allowed when the mother's life is in danger, when the fetus has no chance of survival or in rape cases where the woman has not passed her 20th week of pregnancy.

I actually have a few questions...
1. Do you agree in this instance ex-communication is the right call? Why?
2. Why not the judge who allowed the exception too?
3. Isn't this tragedy EXACTLY the kind of time the religious community should be supporting this family; banding together; rather than casting them out?

Any other thoughts about this case?

I'm not catholic & so don't know these answers; I'm trying to ask this as respectfully as possible...

beachmamaof2

Asked by beachmamaof2 at 11:31 PM on Mar. 5, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• It's important to understand what excommunication is. Excommunication doesn't kick someone out of the church or stop someone from being Catholics. It doesn't mean that other Catholics can't or shouldn't talk to them or help them. It doesn't mean the sin is unforgivable. It means that the person has committed sin (or sins) so great that they are not able to receive sacraments until they have repented their sins and reconciled with the Church.

Procuring an abortion is an automatic excommunication, as the Catholic Catechism says "The Church does not thereby intend to restrict the scope of mercy. Rather, she makes clear the gravity of the crime committed, the irreparable harm done to the innocent who is put to death, as well as to the parents and the whole of society." The mother and doctor can have the excommunication lifted if they repent and seek forgiveness.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 11:51 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29531755

Link to full story in case you'd not heard of it.

beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 11:32 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I don't believe in excommunication, if Jesus can forgive all sins who is a bishop or pope to think his standards are higher than God Himself????

-former catholic
    Praying

Answer by Praying at 11:39 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• Sad really, really sad. : (
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 11:41 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I'm not Christian or Catholic but the community needs to be helping that family out. I would reguardless of their religion.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 11:42 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• I think if any forgiveness is warranted, which even as a pro-lifer I'm not sure it is as carrying twins at 9 seems life threatening to me.....

Doesn't forgiveness come from Jesus Christ and not a bishop or pope or man? The Bible says if we accept Jesus as our savior and accept his forgiveness we will be saved, forgiven. Period.

Praying

Answer by Praying at 11:57 PM on Mar. 5, 2009

• The story is a tragic and the entire family is my prayers. But the child could have been helped and supported in many other ways rather than killing the unborn babies. The church is not against supporting or helping the child and her family. The child is too young to be excommunicated - she didn't understand. But the mother and doctor who performed the procedure freely choose to take a life. And as I pointed out procuring an abortion is an automatic excommunication in the Catholic Church. The judge was not excommunicated because he didn't procure the abortion - he just enforced the law that was present.

It was not the babies fault in how they were conceived. If the pregnancy continued and posed an immedicate danger to the mother, medical procedures to save the mother (without directly killing the babies) would have been allowed by the Catholic Church. It's the direct abortion that is wrong.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 12:00 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I don't think it's up to a church organization to tell someone that they need to repent. We are to ask God for forgiveness, not bishops and priests, as the catholic Church would like their followers to believe.
    MicahsMom612

Answer by MicahsMom612 at 12:06 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• ARE you Friggin kidding me. NINE years OLD NINE. Dang people, the pregnancy could have KILLED the NINE year old for goodness sakes. That is STUPID to say a NINE year old can carry to term babies. Man you all MAKE me SICK
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 12:09 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Then who is looking out for the welfare of the NINE year old GIRL who did not ask for this!!!!
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 12:12 AM on Mar. 6, 2009