If you had an eight year-old boy with cerebral palsy, what would you do about his education and upbringing? What if he can't walk or talk, and his develpmental level is about 2 years old? and you have other children?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:55 PM on Mar. 5, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I'd definitely do conductive education.
    MicahsMom612

Answer by MicahsMom612 at 12:00 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• i agree with the PP. set some time aside. every minute you puit in is a new level for him to move up on. good luck mama
    ssnelson26

Answer by ssnelson26 at 1:53 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• the state MUST provide you with an educational setting for him. (FEDERAL LAW). I'd advice you to take advantage of it, even if not on a full time basis. There are ALOT of advances for children/people with disabilities to facilitate their ability to communicate-- with computer advances they've become SHOCKED at what our children are actually capable.
    And 2 years old developmentally is not that low -- relatively. I love the term Developmental DELAY -- b/c it reminds us that our children are making advances just at a slower pace.
    2 year olds can do ALOT. I'd look into working on his communication skills -- ALOT. Occupational and Physical therapy etc.
    Look at what he CAN do. That is the next stage of acceptance and often the hardest.
    MUCH LOVE MOMMA
    but take advantage of the education he can get, for all of your families sake.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 6:41 PM on Mar. 8, 2009