• In the Spotlight:

MY LITTLE GIRL WON'T GO TO SLEEP!

NO MATTER HOW MUCH I TRY I CANT GET MY 71/2 MONTH OLD TO GO TO SLEEP AT A DECENT TIME. SHE WON'T GO TO SLEEP UNTIL MIDNIGHT AND IM GETTING TIRED OF IT. IS THERE ANYTHING I CAN DO TO GET HER TO GO SLEEP EARLIER?

charmd18

Asked by charmd18 at 12:02 AM on Mar. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Don't let her nap after a certain time and see if it helps. My son is the same age... his last nap is at 4... he goes to bed at 9:30.
    And we have a bed time routine... eats baby food (something nice and filling), bath, breastfeeds then bed.
    No more play time after bath... sometimes he gets hyper... but we don't let him get all wound up again.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:07 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Just let her cry it out.. I had to do that with my son cuz he was the same way its hard but it only takes maybe a couple of days to a week just depends..
    MiSs.SmOkEy

Answer by MiSs.SmOkEy at 12:06 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Make a schedule... Nothing big or demanding just about an hour before you want it to be bed time just start doing the same routine... (making sure a bath is included in the routine usually helps) all kids are different but for us we used the let them cry method... I didn't like it at first and would have to go for a walk or just sit outside if no one else was home (luckily my husband can turn on a tv and tune everything else out) but after about a week i didn't have to leave because he would only cry for about 10 min and then be asleep.. Good luck though.. i know all kids are different but a friend of mine had the same problem where bedtime was always after midnight, our kids are now 2 and he still will not go to bed before 12 and it's hard... So break the habit now before it becomes harder...
    theheartbaby

Answer by theheartbaby at 12:21 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Yes, I agree with the other moms about routine, bath time and crying it out. Also try to spend a few minutes reading a story, singing softly and rocking in a dimmly lit area before you put her in bed. I also bought a crib toy that plays music for about 5 minutes and distracts them from being upset.When she starts crying wait a few min, go in give her her paci and leave, then increase the time you wait to go in by 5 min or so each time.She needs to know you are still there but its bed time.It is very hard but a really important skill babies need to learn,How to put themselves to sleep.In a week you will be so glad you stuck with it. It gets better.Good luck
    Jacksonsmom587

Answer by Jacksonsmom587 at 12:50 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I will disagree with cry it out...tried it here, FAILED MISERABLY. Only teaches baby that you cannot be trusted.

Check out "The No Cry Sleep Solution" by Elizabeth Pantley instead.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:53 AM on Mar. 6, 2009