how much is it to homeschool your child?

dont you have to be rich to be able to do that? or will the city taxes help for that like they help the schools?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:05 AM on Mar. 6, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i personally from being a home schooled child am against home schooling it is unfair to any child they need proper learning from a professional teacher not a parent it is a bad choice to make,it is not just for rich ppl but its not worth your putting your child through..

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:14 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• It depends on the curriculum and supplemental supplies you use. No, you don't get any tax breaks, or anything like that when you home school. You still pay taxes even though your children don't attend your local public schools.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 12:16 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• No, you don't have to be rich! You can often get used or recycled curriculum for cheap or free. Even if you can't, the price of buying a curriculum is no more than the fees you would pay with public schools.

And, uh, NO city taxes DO NOT help with the costs of homeschooling! But that's okay, it's still worth every penny we spend!

Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 12:16 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• For me homeschooling costs much less than public school. When my son was in public school (kinder and 1st grade) then I spent about $100 in supplies that were for school. Now I use the internet, dry erase markers and a white board, and books from the library. We do art and science projects that I buy supplies for (but many of the items we use are around the house anyway) so now I only spend about $60 per year in supplies. Not to mention the money I save on transportation, all the school fund raisers, lunches, and misc. other expenses.
    That is just me, there are also some excellent groups on here which can help you with information if you decide this is something you wish to pursue.
    indigostone

Answer by indigostone at 12:18 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Anon #1-- I do not believe you were homeschooled. Just someone anti-homeschooling trying to get a point across.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:18 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Oh, in response to the anon @ 10:14 answer... I was homeschooled, it is not for everyone, but it is far from being unfair to every child. In my opinion it is more fair for a child to be happily homeschooled than to be miserable because they are being bullied at school, labeled by their teachers and not allowed to really learn but merely regurgitate facts to a teacher that is too busy practicing crowd control procedures to be able to teach effectively. You see, I used to work in my son's school and witnessed this first hand and that is why I homeschool.
    indigostone

Answer by indigostone at 12:25 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• You can homeschool without much cost for school supplies and books (curriculum). There are lots of websites where you can print free worksheets and games and puzzles for young children. You can get books from the library. I also borrow books from friends. Or you can buy the type of curriculum that can be used for all your children, so you only have to buy one set and us it over and over again.

$300 is the average per year.

In some states, you can have the school pay for a small amount of your books (maybe $77 or so), as long as they are not religious.

If you have a tight budget, you might notice some hidden costs like feeding your child breakfast and lunch, living on one income, and since the children are home all the time, there is more wear and tear on your house and appliances. I know, they don't call me "mom of 8 children" for nothing.--and 7 of them are boys!

momo8child

Answer by momo8child at 12:42 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• If you go with the computer schooling (if you message me i'll find it for you) then its free.
    SpiritedTigress

Answer by SpiritedTigress at 5:59 AM on Mar. 11, 2009