Have you asked what you can do for yourself instead of what your government can do for you?

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2009/03/obamas_new_deal_and_a_texas_hi.html
Obama's 'New Deal' and a Texas hick town
David Paulin

The era of New Deal-style big government may have arrived with the Obama administration. However, you'd never know it by the way folks in Bastrop, Tex., are reacting to a local tragedy – a devastating wildfire that destroyed scores of businesses and homes.

What can the government do for them?

It's not a question anybody seems to be asking in the town of 7,200 in central Texas.

Instead, residents are counting their blessings, displaying remarkable resilience – and pitching in to help out one another after one of the worst wild fires in Bastrop's history.

Praying

Asked by Praying at 12:08 AM on Mar. 6, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• What does a localized tragedy have to do with Obama and the government? not to say I don't feel bad for the people of Bastrop, but I'm not sure what your getting at?
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 12:11 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I am getting at the people there not relying on government to bail them out of crap and the general idea going around that the government needs to provide the people with pretty much everything.

So ask yourself what you can do for yourself before we have to hear one more post about when people's imaginary stimulus checks are going to arrive.
    Praying

Answer by Praying at 12:17 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Soon, evidently you aren't big in politics. Many localized tragedies demand government help. It's actually kind of a theme. Most people expect government to step in the minute something goes awry any more.

lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:19 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• As a matter of fact there is a town that wants to be declared a disaster area as if a tornado hit, when really they have a bad economy.

What part of WE HAVE NO MONEY don't people understand. Where you all weened from bottle to credit cards??
    Praying

Answer by Praying at 12:48 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• AMEN!! AND, though Galveston Texas and surrounding areas are still flattened by the devastation of hurricane IKE, you don't hear them demanding anything from the government like the Katrina victims. This is an awesome question OP!!!

bow down

blessed5x

Answer by blessed5x at 12:52 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I don't except anything from the government. DH and I were hit hard by the economy but we have dusted ourselves off, are keeping our heads above water and changing careers (which can suck when you done something for so long sometimes change is hard). I actually had a long talk with my son yesterday about how he needs to go to college and set high goals so that he can stay middle or upper class. We discussed welfare and corporate welfare.

partiesbyjan

Answer by partiesbyjan at 5:34 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• That's just wrong. You're expecting people to be responsible!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:09 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Amen. I'm a Libertarian and I think people should take care of themselves and their own, not rely on the government to do everything. Help is nice, but expecting it is not. One day our government will fall and then who will the non self reliant call to?
    spastic_poodle

Answer by spastic_poodle at 7:34 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I dont have to ask. I KNOW. I CAN do for myself. The LESS Government, the BETTER :o)
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:25 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• The problem with a lot of people is that they have this mentality that they are owed something and would rather sponge off the government instead of taking responsibility for their own lives.

sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:46 AM on Mar. 6, 2009