How do you cut corners to save money?

Whether it's creative accounting or tacky or illegal, what are some thing you have done or do to save a nice shiny penny or two?

Gigi1969

Asked by Gigi1969 at 12:31 AM on Mar. 6, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Oh and gardening. My SIL and I plant a huge one every year and we can and freeze everything in our sight. It is fun and great time spent together and there is nothing like making a pie with filling you canned in oct and eating it in feb. So yummy!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:18 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• We don't eat out anymore. We dont go out anymore. Instead we do things that dont cost money. Also we don't buy things we just want. That saves alot of money. and its good for your waist!
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 12:35 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Store brand goods rather than name brands. Lots of WalMart shopping. Coupons coupons coupons. Free pay per view movies rather than the movie theater. When we HAVE gone to the theater, I bring in our own sweets rather than paying the exorbitant concession stand prices.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:40 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Everytime I save even $5-$10 I transfer it over into my savings account. We don't eat out very often anymore. I keep my heat very low. I always turn off lights, computer, t.v. when I'm not using it. I pay bills online to save stamps. We eat leftovers(we used to always throw them) I used cloth diapers, I cut my dryer sheets in half. Sometimes I make my own laundry detergent. I hang dry a lot of clothes....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:41 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• The biggest savers for me have been to 1. replace all the light bulbs in my house with the CFL's and 2. buy a toaster oven, for small things like pizza's and cookies. I also turned my thermostat down about 5 degrees and put on a sweater this winter.
    All these things together resulted in my utility bills (gas and electric) being about $60/month. The year before my bills were about $80. Not too shabby (IMO).
    indigostone

Answer by indigostone at 12:43 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• anon @ 10:41 would you pm me with your 'recipe' for laundry detergent? I have looked all over and not been able to find one.
    indigostone

Answer by indigostone at 12:46 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• dang we are bad we dont we live like we always have thats what busting your a** gets ya a way of living and not to greedy to help those who arent as fortunate as we are.
    sauna26

Answer by sauna26 at 12:46 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Indigo! I have never owned a toaster oven and don't even really know how to use one! We have one at work and I just look at it and then go to the microwave or the toaster, Does it really save gas and electricity?
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 12:55 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Well I always look for coupons for stuff that we need like Stater Bros is really good about giving out coupons for baby food and babies r us sends me coupons for the diapers I use and wet wipes and what not, and as far as anything else well we just dont go out anymore, and lets just say I have gotten really good at sewing and learning how to fix things on my own
    hautemama83

Answer by hautemama83 at 12:57 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• sauna are you incinuating that we don't all bust our ass? Cause I know me and hubby are and we still have to cut back and no we ain't greedy to those that need help!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:58 AM on Mar. 6, 2009