Please Help!! How did you quit smoking and STAY smoke-free!

I know it's all in my head, but I'm going nuts!! I just want a puff, just one puff, but I know I won't be able to just handle one drag and I will smoke again. How did you do it!! What did you tell yourself everyday to stay smoke-free:)
Thanks.
Oh yeah, I've quit for a week now.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:36 AM on Mar. 6, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Don't give in! They say cravings only last 5 min. It is totally mind over matter. Trust me, I've quit many times. I usually started back because of stress, a breakup or pissed off at something. I've quit for good now, because my son asked me to. You are better than the addition. You have to want it bad enough. You have to start thinking that you are above it. You are on your way to being a non-smoker. Once you are smoke free, NEVER think you can 'have just one'' You will pick the habit right back up so easily.
    hopelessnance

Answer by hopelessnance at 1:11 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• My husband was the smoker, and quit cold turkey because he promised his dying father. The mental image of his dad hooked up to tubes from nearly every orifice was enough for him.

My FIL died of emphysema before his 58th birthday.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:39 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I told myself that there is another life in you that dosent have the choice to stop, so I stopped cold turkey for my baby! that was about 2 years ago!
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 12:39 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I quit using Chantix 5 mos. ago this Saturday....after 24 yrs. of the sticks. The first week is the hardest....the second week is hard but, gets a little easier. You have to really take it one day at a time. Everyday you don't smoke...is a good day! I suck on alot of jolly ranchers these days..lol..seriously do tho.

Everyday I thought of my dd...I want to be at her graduation, wedding, my grandbabies. At the rate I was going...I was either going to be wheeling around with oxygen, or be pushing up daisies. These days...I have never felt better! I have a bit of weight to lose now...but, I can breathe easy! I also watched my dh's uncle die of emphysema a couple of years ago...not a nice way to go at all. He suffered tremendously! Keep at it...I swear you will feel better without being "chained" to it any longer! ~Good Luck~
    Loryl

Answer by Loryl at 12:54 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Don't bash me ok? but my dad died of lung cancer and I still continue to smoke.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 1:02 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Honestly..I just did it. I quit bcak when you just threw them away and didnt look back...it took a few times to quit for real, but I finally did about 13 years ago. Within a year or two of quitting i was so repulsed by smoking, I have no fear that i wll ever go back.
    NorahSethsMommy

Answer by NorahSethsMommy at 1:12 AM on Mar. 6, 2009