worst advice

I am sure this has been asked, and I have seen it a few other places, but it it is always a fun one.

What is the worst parenting advice you have been given??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:55 AM on Mar. 6, 2009 in General Parenting

• "Trust the doctor, they know what they are talking about."
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 12:56 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• to put rice cereal in my daughters bottle when she was only 4 weeks old, that was given b y my mil
    JAJA_Steele

Answer by JAJA_Steele at 12:59 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• "Children will test you ... it's a battle of wills and you have to make sure you always win."

Good grief - I would hate to live in such a family - the parents viewing the kids as the enemy.

I was always firm, but I also always knew that what children were doing was coming out of their need to develop, not a need to defeat me. On the other hand, if I set the tone and the example that our interactions were all about me getting them to knuckle under, then they would of course accept my example and begin to think that defeating WAS important ...

waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 1:02 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• -- waldorfmom, I come from a a family like that. my mom very much viewed everything from a 'who's going to win' point of view. It was horrible and I will not raise my child like that
    Amelora

Answer by Amelora at 1:09 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• "She's just a late bloomer, don't worry about it."

My daughter has hypotonia and developmental delays, at 10 months she couldn't roll over or even hold her head up when she was on her tummy.

The advice was from her biological father's grandma, who also gave her a "Leo the Late Bloomer" book.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 1:13 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I was advise to give my kids a day off from their chores. This was when they were 4 1/2 and 6. I mistakenly took this advice and things were not the same for months afterward. Now its 7 am chores everyday no exceptions, even if it makes you late to school.
    mrssullivan

Answer by mrssullivan at 1:30 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• He sleeps to much, you shouldn't let him sleep so much, you need to start waking him up sooner or he will be fussing and in a bad mood. This came from my sister in law, my husbands brothers wife, who at the time didn't even have any kids. I told her in my house you never wake a sleeping baby, if you wake him he will really be fussy and in a bad mood. My son is 5 now and she and my brother in law just had their second baby and neither of the baby's ever want to sleep much. I have a very hard time not laughing in her face every time she starts complaining about how her kids don't ever want to sleep.

Julia0331

Answer by Julia0331 at 2:35 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• "Don't kiss them so much".......

YEAH RIGHT
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 2:56 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• IF you hold them too much they'll be spoiled! Oh and I love this one "don't drink mountain dew while you're pregnant, the acid in the drink will hurt the babies.' Um...then how come lemonade, orangejuice, and other acidic drinks are reccomended.
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 7:04 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Hmmm, I can't think of the worst advice I was ever given (too early!) But a hairdresser once told my mom to wash my hair with Spic N Span - yes, the floor cleaner - to remove hairspray build up from my hair (think early '90's BIG bangs!) My mom did it and my hair broke off and fell out!
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 8:35 AM on Mar. 6, 2009