• In the Spotlight:

does anybody have a child with asperger's syndrome and how do you get them to hear what you are saying to them

my ds is 13 and has asperger's syndrome and is also bi poler .he will not hear a thing we tell him .it is like he does not understand what we ask of him . i'm at my wits end . is there a special way to get them to hear what you are asking them to do . ex. i asked him to load the dish washer well go and stands at it and stares .well iask him what is he doing .he says he was trying to figger out what i wanted him to do . please any advice would be help full.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:13 AM on Mar. 6, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I don't have a child with Asperger's but have worked with children on the spectrum for years. You are right, he truly does not unterstand what you want him to do. You need to be very direct and tell him what to do, rather than give general requests. Example: Instead of saying "will you go load the dishwasher?" you will want to say "Name- go into the kitchen, open the dishwasher, and put the dirty dishes inside please" You may have to say those requests one at a time depending on your son's personal comprehension. I'm happy to talk with you further about this if you'd like. Sometimes task charts can also be helpful.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 7:33 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• you have to tell them the directions slowly and clearly and you will end up repeating yourself a few times. just dont get angry and yell then they will get all upset and flip out
    Anonymous