take treats nice

How can I teach my puppy, 3 months old, to take his treats nice. He had a case of food aggression going but after repeatedly putting our hands in his dish and scolding him when he nipped he has moved past that. He is rewarded with treats when he does good but he all but takes your hand off when he is given them. It's important that we get this resolved since he is likely to hit the 100 pound mark when he is full grown. Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:00 AM on Mar. 6, 2009 in Pets

• I have a mini weiner dog so I'm not worried about the size, but he does have to have manners, so he has to sit pretty for his treats...this means he has to sit on his butt, his front paws automatically look like he's begging and he's got it down now...LOL. He has to sit to get his treat, can't stand on his hind legs or jump up to get the treat, this took quite a bit of repetition at first bc when he was younger he'd get excited about it and try to jump up. We would just tell him no and correct him as soon as he would try to stand up for the treat, as soon as he stayed in the position he would get the treat with alot of praise, now he's 8 months old and when my dh comes home he runs in front of him and sits up, it's so cute!
    INDIANAMOM

Answer by INDIANAMOM at 7:29 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• when my dogs used to go after treats i guess for lack of better word aggressively i would take it back away and swat their nose. i would not give it until they calmed down and took it nice
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I have a GSD and even though she can take treats nicely, I didn't want her to accidently nip the kids' hands. So, I taught her to sit for the treat and then I would toss it in the air a bit and she would catch it mid-air. It gives her another trick to do and it keeps your hands away from the mouth. She was a "natural" at this so I didn't have to work too hard...Maybe start out by tossing the treats close (like almost as hes about to get your hand) and gradually go further and further with it. Hope this helps.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 2:32 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• First of all , teach your pup to sit and be calm, when you offer the treat take your left or right hand and place a finger on his nose to get his attention and then offer the treat. If he snaps at the food take it away and say no, sit, wait ,place finger on his nose area and when he is calm enough to be given the treat then do. It's all in teaching him what you want him to do, and not letting him get away with what you don't want him to do. There is a bowl with dividers in them that teach them to eat slower, but you said he is past this. Then start training him to be relaxed about food rewards. You need to be patient , and calm with him. If he knows you are not sure of yourself , then he reacts the same way. So take some deep breaths and go to work. Hope it works out for you.

doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 3:21 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I had problems with my dog taking treats nice, too. It helps if you teach them to sit, before the treat is given. This helps calm them down. Teach you pup to sit (and to sit still) for the treat. If your dog sits, but then jumps up to get the treat you have to back you hand away and make the dog sit again. Repeat this until your dog sits still for the treat. If this doesn't work, then swat the pups nose and tell him to "take it nice". Don't let the treat dangle out of your hand either, keep your fingers wrapped around the treat and let the dog nibble it out of your fingers. If the pup uses too much teeth when taking the treat, then pull your hand back and tell the dog to "take it nice" and try again.

bookay

Answer by bookay at 3:24 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• i agree w pp and anon
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 9:26 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Well, I can't really teach him to sit, we are workin on standing (stacking for show). Thanks for the suggestions the vet reccomended that we hold it tight in our hand and make him sniff it a lot and then tell him nice and it worked there real well. Hopefully we will learn more tricks for this at puupy class. Thanks everyone.
    Anonymous