Messed up at work

I have a shift at work I want to give up (something came up and can't work) so I looked on the schedule for someone with little to no hours cause I was going to offer it to them first. well I mentioned to this girl that I noticed her mom had no hours in two weeeks when I have to give a day away. So she starts yelling at me that her mom's hours are none of my business (yes thats true) but she never let me finish why I was inquirering about her mom's work schedule. I apologized and still she never let me finish and tell her I had hours I would like to give her mom. So then she tells several people at work that I was discussing her mom's schedule and someone approached me and said I had no right to do that. Yet noone will let me finish saying I have a shift I'd like to offer her. It's a 10 hour day. And if after the schedule posts and we need to swap days or give time up we're to find someone to cover us.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:50 AM on Mar. 6, 2009 in Money & Work

• anyways I really don't need any high school drama so if you all have nothing important to say other than bash go away. So should I apologize again and try to finish what I was saying, blow it off as a lesson learned or what. I really wasn't being nosey I was trying to give work hours up.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 7:52 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• what kind of place do you work? i would hold a small little meeting try to get all the ones that are upset together and say look i wasnt being nosey i was trying to give away hours and saw she didnt have many. or i would go to the woman you want to give the hours to and explain to her and see if she wants them
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 7:55 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• See I would still have try and tell her then ask her why u yelling. I would not say Sh*t cause u was trying to help her mom out man do not let them get to u. U was trying to be nice so no I would do what JODI205 said and keep it moving

R call me
    Mz.PhatPhat

Answer by Mz.PhatPhat at 8:06 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I work at Target. Her mom was one of the last hired for seasonal work and she gets very few hours. Several weeks she has not had any. I haven't seen her at work for a while cause we usually work opposite shifts. I'd rather offer my hours to someone with none than offer them to someone who has 30 plus hours. I'm hurt that noone will let me explain my reasonings. I wasn't just snooping it was legit.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:26 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• are you able to spell things out in a note to this "wronged daughter" Sometimes it is easier to write things out and let them read it. Give it to her and walk away, let her read it and then you can discuss it. This way you can get your words out without her jumping to conclusions. Wow....
    Mom2six

Answer by Mom2six at 8:34 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I KNEW you worked at Target! I use to work there, they employ some of the most petty childish people. You have 3 types of people who work @ target: Smart teenagers, immigrants with limited English skills and the drama queens.
    The teenagers act like adults, most of the immigrants have had hard lives, are thankful for a job and work hard, then you have the drama queens - all the girls who were popular in high school, got married and pregnant pretty much out of high school and part time working moms with little to no education who look down on the other 2 groups. Truth is, they couldn't hold a candle to those other 2 groups. Now not everyone fits into each category, I was a middle aged mom with only a tech school education, but I've lived in the real word.

Ignore them! Go talk to the smart teenagers, help them with there life skills, that's what I did & had loads of fun there.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 11:01 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I would say to hell with them. If they wont let you explain yourself forget them. I mean the schedule is posted and everyone can see if. Its not like there hours are a secret if it is posted for others to see. I would either offer it to someone who will listen and be appreciative rather thatn someone whith few hours who things you are snooping. Or just all in sick. And let those fit throwers worry about it then. Then when you come back tell them that you tried to give away your day and they accusued you of not minding your own business. Somepeople you just can't help. And judging by the service i have got at target before i have met someof your coworkers. My answer will probably get bashed, but i don't care i hate people that do stupid crap like that.
    Anonymous

• Can you just post a note in the break room that you have hours on a certain day that you need to find someone to work for you?? The one that really wants it will contact you. I am usually more direct than that, but after all of the drama you have gone through, I wouldn't want to mess with them either.  You didn't deserve to be treated that way.  Good luck to you.

AmyMK

Answer by AmyMK at 3:12 PM on Mar. 6, 2009