Should my kids school be collecting clothing for children in Iraq?

We got a letter from our kids school saying they were collecting clothing for the children in Iraq. Personally, I found that to be abit to "Jane Fonda" during the Vietnam era for me. I have nothing against Iraq children, so don't go off on a rant about that, however it does seem disrespectful to our Military. At this time, it seems clothing could be sent locally and do alot of good. I know I just struggled buying my kids new jeans because their old ones had holes in the knees. Certainly, homeless shelters would be thankful for the charity. We're not Military and figured w/the wide range of Moms on here we could get the opinions of everyone and a clearer understanding of this. It just rubs me wrong.

CosmicMomma

Asked by CosmicMomma at 8:32 AM on Mar. 6, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think the clothing should go to ANY child in need. I don't see how it would be disrespectful to the military. They are there making it a safer place, not to kill the children. I think its okay. ALL kids need clothing and a safe warm house. I think the teacher has a good heart and just wants to help.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 8:37 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I think it would be ok with military people, tho I don't know that for sure, since I'm not military. But our military has fought hard so these children can have an education and freedom....why not help them a bit? I'm sure many of them need clothing. I see what you are saying tho, with there being lots of needy people in America to help...but either way....I think for a kid, the lesson is learned. Giving and helping those in need feels really good, no matter where it's at.
    momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 8:38 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I could go both ways. I always think we should give in our community or country. There are plenty people here that need food & clothing or other donations. I'm sure kids there need things too. If you're unsure about giving, ask what charity/group they're donating through. What unit will it be sent to? Where will it be going? Sometimes people just get wild ideas to send all this stuff to an address they found online-the unit can be stateside, the address changed or they get it & don't know why you sent it & they don't have time to deal with it (in some cases everything gets tossed or just sits around) We (Marine wives) had 40 boxes come back at the beginning of a deployment because they changed the address, luckily the Company reshipped them for us.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 8:58 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I have no clue as to why that would bother anyone, our men and woman are there to better the lives of the Iraqi people and children. Many of them have set up orginizations to help out the Iraqi people.

How could we not as a nation want to help them? They are in the predicament they are in because of us as a nation (regardless of anyones stance on the war). Charity should begin at home, but most charities that deal with clothing are not lacking, it is our food banks that need bigger donations.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 12:48 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I have friends that where deployed that bought the kids clothes, made them goodie bags and stuff along those lines. I know there have been many drives to help these children. Our military are usually the ones that get to hand them out.
    spunkymomof3

Answer by spunkymomof3 at 1:39 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• we should be helping americans who are struggling first and then other countries. may sound selfish but america is goin thru a rough time and alot of ppl are out of jobs and have little money
    Anonymous

• I think that instead of sending it over seas we should take care of our people before helping somebody else. Lord Knows no other country says lets return the favor and help out Americans.

As far as it being offensive no I do not believe the military people would be offended unless they had families back home struggling to make ends meet.
    lady-J-Rock

Answer by lady-J-Rock at 5:26 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I don't think Americans are more important than any other human being. It shouldn't matter who the clothing is going to as long as the clothing gets put to good use! God never said to favor any certain person or country, He said to give freely and love your neighbors.

If you aren't moved to give, then don't. I don't see how it would be inappropriate to give to Iraqi children and no clue as to why it would be offensive to our military.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 6:17 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Military families and celibrities on USO tours have all sent school suppies and helped build schools for Iraqi children. It isn't anit-military or unpatriotric to assist these kids.
    tiggermom803

Answer by tiggermom803 at 3:14 AM on Mar. 7, 2009

• When people here in America say they are "struggling" they truly have no idea what its like to struggle. (most anywho) Your kids old jeans would be prized possessions for those Iraq children. When their parents say they cant buy new jeans they MEAN it. No credit cards, they probably are scrapping together pennies to buy dinner for that night. If they are even that lucky.

My dh went to peru a few years ago and THAT is struggling. The people there work that day for THAT days food. If for some reason they dont work that day. THEY DONT EAT. That is struggling. We Americans have no idea about that level of poverty. We say we are having it hard but truely we are lucky lucky lucky!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on Mar. 7, 2009