How should I act in family court? I am nervous and scared.

I have not seen my husband since my son was 3 months old. In 2 weeks I will see him in court for our divorce and child support. I am trying to get full custody but the guardian ad liteum does not want the judge to allow it. I am nervous about how I will act. Does anyone have any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:51 AM on Mar. 6, 2009 in Relationships

• Dress appropriately (NOT too casual or in jeans). Speak only when spoken to and don't offer more information than necessary. If something is incorrect, quietly whisper to your atty and let him/her handle it. Don't show any outbursts of emotion. Remain calm. You can speak to the judge if you feel you have to but ask for permission. The judge is watching how you act more than anything else.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:00 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• relax.. I went with my sister, family court is a much more casual atmosphere, since kids are usualy there and being talked to as well.
    you most likely will see him in the hall, from my exp, its a lot smaller then regular court. just stay with you lawyer to avoid an unwanted conversation.. good luck
    Kerinmomof2

Answer by Kerinmomof2 at 9:12 AM on Mar. 6, 2009