Almost there.. any advice?

well, i'm 3cm and 100% effaced.. with my 2nd child. Has anyone ever used black cohosh to get their labor started? Doctors told me it was ok to try, but i'm wondering if anyone has had any positive experience using it. Did your labor progress or not?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:52 AM on Mar. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• have used Blue and Black Cohosh with two of my pregnancies... had success both times... do not use a capsuled form, but rather, a tincture (available at most vitamin/healthfood stores).... it does not work in a matter of minutes, and it helped very much by your remaining ACTIVE, if you're simply sitting around, or lying in a bed, it's best to forgo the usage. one warning- it may give you loose stools, which is good, it will clean you out good and well before the baby comes. FYI, with my 3rd, i labored for literally a week, making daily progress- slow but sure intense and regular contractions. it was as though my body stalled out on me (other circumstances involved) and after using the Blue and Black Cohosh, it finally kicked things into gear... i walked for almost 36 straight hours, trying to get that booger out!!! then all of a sudden was in transition, felt that rush of endorphins... any way, yes the cohosh helps.

ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:03 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I forgot the name of what I used, but much like obbydobbie, I was in labor for a week. The stuff that I used, was a liquid. Its ment to clean your stool system out. It worked for me. It wasent a right away effect. But it did help. If I think of it, I will let ya know. Sorry I dont know right away. I'm very forgetful!
    mommy20081

Answer by mommy20081 at 9:34 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• no but if you dialte 1 more cm they will keep you. try sex and walking!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:52 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I heard from the girls in the chat room that it can make you sick because of the taste i guess so be careful.
    tequila123

Answer by tequila123 at 9:52 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Do NOT use this!!!!
    Black Cohosh CAN induce you but it CAN also cause excessive bleeding during labor and delivery. Blue Cohosh is related to infant heart attack!!!

There are MUCH safer ways of trying to get things going naturally such as:
    -Drinking Raspberry Leaf Tea (must have the LEAVES in it)
    -Drinking Cummin tea (1 cummin seed in 1 cup of boiling water that steeps for 5 minutes. Add a cube of raw potatoe to absord the bitterness and honey or sugar to sweeten)
    -Have sex and allow the sperm to sit on the cervix for 20-30 minutes at a time
    -Walk or doing anything else that involves gravity
    -Use Acuputure (you can find the information and steps to inducing labor online)
    -Go for a bumpy car ride (sounds dumb I know but if baby isn't is the right position to REALLY get things going than this can help baby move into the right position and start your labor)

It REALLY concerns me that your doctor okayed this with all.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• of the risk. All of the things I mentioned above are COMPLETELY safe, used by midwives all the time and do not have risks like the Black and Blue Cohosh.

At the end of the day though your baby will come when he or she is ready. There IS a reason baby hasn't come yet. Your body is on it's way to going into labor. Just take this time to relax and enjoy your last few moments of sleep.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• anon 11:20
    i beg to differ, but it is completely safe when used in moderation and there are not any other medical conditions that already pose a risk. just as goldenseal was taken off the market by the FDA in the early 90's because of an incident that resulted in death, by a man who was trying to detox for a drug test, there will always be incidents of misuse- regardless of what the medicine, herb, or proceedure... it's simple human error at it finest! that is not to say that enlisting caution and common sense, things will not run smoothly...
    a few other things you forgot to mention... using Evening Primrose soft gels as a vaginal suppository to ripen the cervix, works quite the same way as sex only without the stimulation. Using an exercise ball is much more effective than a bumoy car ride... it enlists gravity to help settle the baby into the pelvis, and it a lot less likely to cause nausea. ...continued....
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:30 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• ...continued... red raspberry leaf tea will not induce labor, what it does is build up the red blood cell count in prep for labor, and should be consumed during the duration of the pregnancy, and in the weeks following. acupressure can cause a number of unpleasantness's if it is administered improperly... but like the Cohosh or Goldenseal, a calculated risk that has more benefits than potential harm. also wearing low cut underwear or jeans that press just above the pelvis will prevent the baby from dropping, or cause it to move into a less than desirable position... so those low cut maternity jeans, not such a good thing late in the game. there are many, many more things that can be done to stimulate contractions, but you are right, when the baby is cooked, it'll have had enough and make an appearance... but towards the end, it really is pointless to try and sleep in agony, when you CAN help things along.

ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:39 PM on Mar. 6, 2009