Am I the only one who finds wearing makeup detrimental to her self esteem?

I wear make up every day because it hides the awful bags under my eyes from lack of sleep, etc. But I've always got this nagging thought at the back of my mind that I HAVE to wear make up because I'm not attractive without it, and it totally shoots my self esteem in the foot. Am I the only one?

LokisMama

Asked by LokisMama at 8:58 AM on Mar. 6, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• YOUR NOT THE ONLY ONE SWEETY...I DONT HAVE A LOW SELF ESTEEM I FEEL IT JUST ENHANCES MY BEAUTY MORE...ART IS BEAUTIFUL RIGHT?...WE ARE HERE TO BEAUTIFY THE WORLD AND DAMMIT IMA DO IT...I JUST MAKE SURE I USE THE RIGHT KIND OF MAKEUP LIKE BARE ESSENTIALS...BUT I DO LOOK LIKE A 12 YEAR OLD WHEN I TAKE IT OFF...LOL
    diamondmamma

Answer by diamondmamma at 9:09 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• i think alot of people are like that, wearing makeup everyday.I though not siked about my looks, have never worn make up and now Im a sahm doubt Ill pick it up anytime soon!
    Kerinmomof2

Answer by Kerinmomof2 at 9:09 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Well, I didn't used to be like that but in the last 2 year, I have become that too. Part of it is me getting older and the circles under my eyes (even though I am only 32) and I moved to a very affluent city and all the moms at the ball park are done up..its kinda superficial but I got where I wouldn't leave the house without make up...LOL. I still do sometimes if I don't feel well, but not usually. In fact though, I think my dh loves to come home to me dressed with make up on. He hasn't said, but I think he likes it. It makes me feel better but I don't think its vital to my self esteem. I have noticed that I have become more like that though.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:10 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I like the way I look with a little bit of mascara and eyeliner - never quite mastered the foundation-y stuff. I don't think it's inherently wrong to give yourself a boost - but it's just on the outside. If you really feel like your awful bags are really awful - get more sleep. (I say that having spent the night on our 3 year old's floor and waking up feeling 100+ years old).

I have relatively good genes and my skin has good tone, I drink a hella lotta water, and I do oil based cleansing.

Makeup only fixes the outside - and only temporarily. It's probably not as bad as you think, bare skin and all. Try it!
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 9:21 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I've always worn makeup--so its not that i think i look horrid without it, i just feel naked. --I just stick with the bare essentials though--foundation and a little blush is all i need.-- I have been known to go out of the house without makeup, but i just feel better with it on.
    Lanasmom

Answer by Lanasmom at 9:46 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I'm way more self conscious in makeup than without. Probably because I never wear it, so I always think I look like a painted clown or something.

I will say, knowing you in person, that you're freaking gorgeous! Seriously, and this coming from someone with an ego the size of the planet :) If I think you're beautiful, it must be true :)
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 9:58 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I feel like I need to wear make up all the time. I went to work without it once and people were asking if I was sick or if my husband hit me. No, thanks, apparently I am hideous without it. Thank you for noticing.
    monkeyberry

Answer by monkeyberry at 10:15 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• The whole point of makeup is to enhance your natural beauty and hide the features that you don't like. If you aren't putting your makeup on the correct way then it won't look right and it could make you feel or look worse. Otherwise I thinks it's a great thing to have. We have the ability to cover up a night of no sleep, to make the color of our eyes pop, to make our lips looks ultra kissable. Wear it and don't feel bad about it. :)
    crystac

Answer by crystac at 10:39 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I don't think the make up is the problem at all, it's your self esteem. There's nothing wrong with doing something to improve how good you already look. So you have dark circles and you don't like it, putting on concealer is just some help. Of course you should also be getting more sleep, maybe putting warmed tea bags and/or cucumbers on your eyes etc But fixing a flaw is just that.
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 11:34 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• No, you aren't the only one. Though I don't go that far in my thinking. I just know that if I don't wear makeup, I'm very unconfident. I guess I do feel a bit ugly without it, and I get more depressed. It drives my hubby nuts. He tells me all the time I'm beautiful, even without makeup. I don't like the shape of my eyes, but I like them when I am wearing makeup. Makes no sense to me.

Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 5:04 PM on Mar. 6, 2009