how do I go about drying up?

Long story short I had my son a week ago and breast fed him for 5 days. Unfortunately, my nipples cracked and bled bad. Despite several visits with my lactation consultand and nipple shields and some kind of cilicone nipple cover they would not heal. My son has a tongue tie which means the skin under his toungue is too long and the only way to solve my problem was to get it cut...which I did not want to do. My boobs are engorged and I need to dry up PLEASE HELP!!!

LovinEveryDay

Asked by LovinEveryDay at 9:24 AM on Mar. 6, 2009 in Health

• Unfortunately you are going to have to let it run it's course. You will be engorged and it will be painful, but it will pass. Wear a tight fitting sports bra, the pressure will relieve some of the pain. Also take pain reliever. Also avoid warm showers and any stimulation to the nipple. GL!
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 9:31 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Oh you will want to get that cut. It's very common, my son had the same problem. As far as drying up, binding yourself with an ace bandage can help, otherwise, it just takes time
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:30 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Yeah that tongue skin is very common and your child won't be able to talk properly if he doesn't get it cut. So regaurdless you need to do it. The pain is unreal but you just have to take it. It will take about a week.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 9:33 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• You'll also want to keep the sports bra on all the time, even during the night when you're sleeping until you dry up.
    Sue41

Answer by Sue41 at 9:54 AM on Mar. 6, 2009