Sewing ?

I am wanting to make my own nursing cover, pouch sling, washable wipes and maybe try making cloth diapers. I will need to buy a sewing machine but, I know nothing about buying one. In middle & high school I used a sewing machine so I know a little how to work one. My question is is there a good machine I can buy without spending a lot of money?

If they turn out well I am thinking about starting my own business slowly. Not sure how many items I can make with a newborn and a 2yr old. I also want to try making taggie blankets, diapers wipes fabric case & maybe case covers. These are just some ideas not sure that I can make all of them. I may just have to pick the ones I like or the ones that sell best. We will see.

Blue80

Asked by Blue80 at 9:54 AM on Mar. 6, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• If you are not sure if you are going to continue making them then I would get a used sewing machine first. I would shop thirft shops or craigs list. GL!
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 9:56 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• i have two machines, one was only about 90 bucks at walmart...it is basic but has what you need for simple projects like that...it is called singer simplicity here is a link, it is basic really but works well and singer is a good company
    http://www.singerco.com/products/
    KEHMom

Answer by KEHMom at 10:00 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I would recomend a serger for making the diapers, wipes, napkins ect and you can usually get a good sewing machine for about $100 from a hobby/craft store
    momfairy

Answer by momfairy at 4:51 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• You should find a local quilt shop that sells machines. They more than likely have used machines, you should go in an talk with them, they can fit you into a machine that will meet your specific needs. They will also more than likely offer a class to teach you how to use your machine and learn the basics of sewing. Try searching on-line for a shop close to you!
    MrsVLopez

Answer by MrsVLopez at 10:50 PM on Mar. 6, 2009