who hates...

when people down you as a mother for formula feeding your child?

in a previous post, a fellow mom said formula fed babies grow up to be idiots! it's in the "well isn't this a bite in the butt" thread.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on Mar. 6, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• "a fellow mom said formula fed babies grow up to be idiots!"

Well slap my hide and call me an idiot, then. And while you're at it, call my brother an idiot. And my mom. And my grandma. We were ALL formula fed. My daughter is formula fed as well and I wouldn't have it any other way. As I've said before, I was nearly suicidal while breastfeeding. It just simply didn't work out for me. My daughter won't need it forever, and by this time next year she won't even be drinking it anymore. Big. Effing. Deal.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:26 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Well I was formula fed, and i'm sorry but I don't consider myself an idiot! LOL. Others can think that, but they don't know me.

Both of my cihldren had formula, and I don't think they're idiots. They're pretty smart for their ages I think.
    StifflersMom82

Answer by StifflersMom82 at 10:11 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Its happens. I have already been looked down upon because I am considering formula feeding my child =[.....I have not even made up my mind yet. I am not due for a few more weeks. Some women are so quick to judge.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:12 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Soem breastfeeding women just have that charming 'better than thou' attitude.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 10:15 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I breast feed, but I was formula fed and I'm not an idiot. So they're obviously wrong.

And anyone who wants to judge you and say your child is going to be an idiot because of what you feed him is an idiot themselves not to get that A) formula feeding doesn't equal idiot and B) you need to treat others like you would want to be treated.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 10:22 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Ugh! It's so frustrating! I totally can relate because I have asked questions about like how much formula and stuff like that and get those nasty "if you breastfed you wouldn't have that problem" responses. They don't know your individual situation and reasons for not bfing! I'm the mother of twins and had to return to work! If I could have stayed at home I would have loved to breastfeed! But, we couldn't afford that! Do they care to inquire that? No, they just assume that we don't care or are too lazy to try the natural way. Thanks for posting this! It feels good to not be alone in my annoyance and to have a minute to get on my soapbox! lol
    mommystiebler

Answer by mommystiebler at 10:56 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Some women can't breastfeed... Both of mine are formula babies.. one was regualr enfamil with lipil the other is prosobee(due to the fact she couldn't keep breast milk down at all) Good luck and don't listen to what other people tell you. In the long run you will have had more sleep!!!
    momof2girls2407

Answer by momof2girls2407 at 11:15 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• EDIT: I would like to add...that above response was to whatever evil bitch who calls herself a mother, not you OP :o]
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:27 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• my ped told me that if any mom can breast feed for the first three months, that is a big plus.. but he said that if they can't and they decide to do formula, there is nothing wrong with it.. ijust love moms out there who think they are holier than thou... i started to lose my breast milk at about 4-5 months.. consulted the Ped, my lactation consultant, and took one prescribed drug, and a couple over the counter, but thus, i lost it.. and the woman who posted it, doesnt truly care about the whole mission of feeding a child.. any lactation consultant will tell you that yes, Breast milk is best, but when you cant, or dont want to, or it doesnt work for you... formula is the next best thing.. also, there are some women who cant physically nurse their babies.. so should the babies just die? i mean some breast feeding moms are so fanatical about it, should babies who are to be formula fed just be left to starve?
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 11:32 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Formula has been around for hundreds of years.. in various forms.. it wasnt the "in" thing in certain generations to nurse a baby.. higher societies didnt feel that was the "proper" thing to do..they viewed it as a country living, or a poor persons thing to do. back in the 70's a lot of babies were started on soy milk, goats milk, but not formula... in the 1800's if you had money, you had a wetnurse.. if you were poor you breastfed, or fed your baby cows milk.. and that wasnt even pasturized.. i am very thankful that i was allowed to nurse as long as i got too.. some moms are blessed to be able to do it for a year or longer if they chose, but for the rest of us who can't, arent going to let some bitch tell us that our children will be idiots..
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 11:36 AM on Mar. 6, 2009