Saving money with the Coupon mom? Do you think it's health food?

Do you think you can actually save money using the coupon moms website?

I couldn’t believe the interview with the coupon mom this morning on “Today”. They purchase $100.00 worth of processed food, nothing you could use to make an entire meal and they were all so impressed.

Do they believe we are all so limited that we will hear $100.00 worth of groceries for a quarter and not notice WHAT she purchased? Ragu, Skippy, a BAG of tuna – there is a reason she’s getting all for nothing – it’s crap! Choosy mothers choose fruits and vegetables, none of quick where on that table.

Have we all been so brain washed that we actually think that tuna we purchase in a bag which doesn’t need to be refrigerated is actually healthy? That’s like saying peanut butter cookies are healthy because they contain peanut butter.

Do you think processed food is healthy?

Works4Mom.com

Asked by Works4Mom.com at 10:10 AM on Mar. 6, 2009 in Money & Work

• Jealous much?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:39 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Um anyone with anything constructive to post? Maybe something that makes sense?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:44 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I'll post -

1st on the processed food issue - I do buy 'processed' foods to a certain degree. I work 45+ hrs, we have ball practice, church, a sick relative, etc.. I can't always cook from scratch. However, I avoid lots of items, like the bags of tuna lol. I do use Ragu, it's not homemade and it's not as good, but I feel like it's still better than ANOTHER un-Happy Meal.

2nd on the CouponMom website, I have never used it. I clip coupons from the Sunday paper and I use retailmenot.com to find codes when I'm shopping online.
    customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 11:08 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• One more thing, now I'm craving PB cookies, Thanks alot! :) lol
    customcat2000

• Ooops sorry about that cookie thing - I'll make you some organic.

And I agree with the Un-Happy Meal. I know no everyone can afford to eat organic foods, we try our best, but it's expensive! And I know they did the segment because so many people are out of work, but fruits & vegetables are VERY important.

I got nothing from the segment because they exclude fruits & vegetables and other healthy foods! I know it only came to $0.25 cents, but I don't think NBC should have flipped the bill unless she was going to purchase at least some healthy foods.
    (I forgot she did purchase organic spread - so there was one item.)
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 11:21 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Well, I didn't see the show, so I can't comment beyond what you've said. But most the coupon information you see on TV is not realistic. They always say "use stores that double", but where I live (BFE), we have locally owned stores that never double, or only double on Tuesday, who can go shopping on Tuesday?!? I do use coupons, but I'm not a Master of the trade by any means.
    customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 11:26 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• My children are very healthy! And they eat Ragu, Canned Tuna and Skippy... I MIGHT buy fresh fruits and veggies once a month... No one eats it, If I buy it it just gets waisted... My kids get fruits and veggies at almost every meal and usually at a snack.... Who cares if it comes from a bag, it's fruit... I am sorry if not every household fits in to what you think is healthy and proper... Get your nose out of the air and in to the real world where people choose between food and heat... Any program that allows them to eat, even if all they get is pasta, is a great one. If you don't like it, don't use it! The rest of us on the other hand would be happy to have help paying for food!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:48 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• This is why we are a fat and obese nation. I spent 75 bucks yesterday that will last me the week and did not buy one processed item. We are eating grilled chicken with grilled vegetables, spinach salad with a homemade fat free dressing and homebaked whole wheat bread. We won't be hungry for salty snack an hour later like those who eat processed foods are.

One of my jobs as a mother is to teach my child good nutrition. He does not have soda, chips, other salty snacks or processed sweet treats. I do bake muffins and cookies but they have half the sugar and taste so much better. I don't spend all day in the kitchen either preparing meals. I think it is a shame so many low income and middle income are taught that healthy food is expensive food. If you learn what is actually healthy you will see it is actually cheaper in the long run.
    Anonymous

• "I MIGHT buy fresh fruits and veggies once a month... No one eats it, If I buy it it just gets waisted... My kids get fruits and veggies at almost every meal and usually at a snack.... Who cares if it comes from a bag, it's fruit.."

If your purchase fresh fruits and veggies once a month & they go to waist, how are your kids getting them every meal & as snacks?
    It's the fact my nose is in reality that I know those processed foods are not good for our children 365. I don't know what kind of fruit comes in a bag unless you mean fruit snacks - those sticky gel like treats, but that's not fruit. Anonymous is correct!
    I'm not saying coupons or sales are wrong, her segment may have been less impressive if she had only saved half as much, but I would have been more impressed if she had actually purchased something that would have made a healthy meal and not $100.00 of random non-healthy items.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 1:06 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I agree that fruits and vegetables are very important, and I do buy those things, but I also do rely on some "quick" things like dried pastas and prepackaged snacks and such for the kids at times because they are running in and out to soccer practice and after school clubs. We eat fresh cooked meats and vegetables with most every dinner (we use frozen vegetables but its been proven that they are just as healthy or healthier than fresh because they are frozen at the peak of freshness and retain their vitamins better). We eat whole wheat bread, brown rice, and drink organic 2% milk. I use Simply Jif peanut butter, and we do use bags of tuna because it's still healthier than other things and my kids are all at a good weight, and they are all very physically active. Just because people use convenience items does not mean they are using the unhealthy ones. I just don't have time to make everything from scratch so I do my best.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:19 PM on Mar. 6, 2009