Balance work and taking care of kids.

I need to get a job while kids are in school (8:30-3:15pm).I have no consistent, reliable help.How do you balance work and kids with all the breaks they have throughout the year,not to mention when they wake up sick,and you have to be at work in 1 hr ?

elisa09

Asked by elisa09 at 10:17 AM on Mar. 6, 2009 in Money & Work

• I try to have as many back ups as I can, and sometimes I just have to take off. My employer appreciates that I try not to make my kids a problem for them, and so they are pretty cool about it on the occaisions when I can't make it in.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 10:22 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I know why my mother did... She contacted the school every month and got a calendar from them so she had extra time to find some one to watch us. If we didn't have a high fever or were tossing or pooping like crazy, we went to school. She couldn's afford to loose the work.

I don't have to worry about that stuff cause I work from home. By next year my hubby will be retired and he will be home too. So it won't be a big deal for us... Talk to the other moms you work with and see who they use. Maybe you can get a referal for a "sitter" from one of them.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:39 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• When I worked outside of the home it was tough. Backups were a necessity but I never had enough. Once my son was born I ended up missing so much work by the time June came around that my boss had told me I wasn't allowed to miss another day for the rest of the year. Ha! Like that was going to be possible. LOL I ended up quitting my stinky job and started working at home. That was in 2006 and I've been home ever since. I now have 3 kids and I work just during their naptimes and in the evenings when they go to bed.
    workathomemama

Answer by workathomemama at 6:20 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I work outside the home and its all about were you work.. like my job isnt easy to take time off but my boss is every understanding cause i dont have anyone but me to care for my kids.. and in a year i have taken 1 sick day and one planed day off.. so if it came down to it i would be okay...
    miss_nevin

Answer by miss_nevin at 7:11 PM on Mar. 7, 2009