Have you parents of teens heard of this?

There was a news article this morning about a practice called 'sexting'. Where teens are sending nude and promiscuous pictures over cell phones to their boyfriends and other people. Apparently its becoming very popular and at least 2 teens have comitted suicide when it got out of hand and threatened to ruin their lives!!

kristal2146

Asked by kristal2146 at 10:25 AM on Mar. 6, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• IT IS VERY REAL! Thats why parents shouldnt let their children have cell phones without proper monitoring and (putting the fear of GOD in them helps). My 15 year old son (very popular, very handsome) send him a nude shot and I called her parents. He knows that I have access to his phone at any time, and he has a communication line open with me about these things!! Impt! As long as a pay for it, it belongs to me. PERIOD
    cksem

Answer by cksem at 12:41 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• LOL yes i have. but from here, im not a mother of a teen... wow though im so sorry about the suicide :[
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 10:26 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• It is also illegal, and if caught with nude pics on thier phone of anyone under 18 they can be charged with child porn.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 10:34 AM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Yeah it's become a great thing for the lawyers- there was a case on the news where a boy received a text from a girl both underage of consent and both being charged with child porn and could end up being registered sex offenders! I tell my son constantly do not send any questionable pics of himself and if a girl sends them to him delete them immediately. Teens need to realize the pics can spread through the school and end up online in 10 minutes, but what's appalling is that those taking pics of their own naked selves are charged the same as some 50 year old man who sexually abuses a 4 year old and posts it on the internet for sale!
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 12:06 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• Exactly why my 11 yr old wont get a cell phone no matter how much he whines.
    geenabelle

Answer by geenabelle at 1:45 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• edit ^^ cksem2003 a girl sent him a pic.... lol sorry
    cksem

Answer by cksem at 1:50 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• i am 24 and my husband sent me a text picture of his "man", just as a joke. well let my mom use my phone and she looked at the picture. it was embarrassing for me as a married adult. i wouldn't know what to say for a teen that had this happen to him/her. probably total humiliation

twinsnseptember

Answer by twinsnseptember at 3:20 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• cksem.........there you go again, I can't understand your grammer. Go back to school or something.
    Anonymous

• Yes its true. I took my son's phone away 2 yrs ago when he ran up the bill. I'm glad for this reason too he does not have one. We don't even have the internet at home. I have it on my palm treo phone. lol
    JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 6:10 PM on Mar. 6, 2009

• I saw this on Dr. Phil. Lots of dumbs teens nudey pics end up on the internet for dirty old men to look at.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 10:25 PM on Mar. 6, 2009